General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Mancine
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 20:01:25
Print Post

ADSL24 FTTC Router Question

[link to this post]

Hi guys, I'm already with ADSL24, with standard ADSL currently, and mulling over an upgrade to the FTTC package which has just gone live in my area.

This will require a new router - for which ADSL24 recommends certain routers:

http://adsl24.co.uk/support/fttc/

Out of these I'd probably go for a NetGear, but these are of course older models (the WNR2000, WNR3500L). What's wrong with the newer ones, exactly, can anyone enlighten me as to why these ones are recommended?

Particularly given that IPV6 is on the way - I believe some sites will be using the protocol next year, and doesn't that mean a router upgrade then, if yours doesn't support IPV6 (and I believe the above Netgear models don't)?

The router I'm tempted by is the ASUS RT-N66U, although I realise that is a pricey one, it'll hopefully last and has IPV6 support, read nothing but good things about it.

Anyone running this with an ADSL24 FTTC connection? Or am I advised to stick to the "recommended" routers, would love to hear any advice, or from James if he reads this....

Many thanks for any feedback in advance smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Jun-12 20:14:14
Print Post

Re: ADSL24 FTTC Router Question

[re: Mancine] [link to this post]

I can't answer the basic question, but can tell you that it being ADSL24 is sort of irrelevant.

There are only three types of FTTC connection. BT Wholesale (WBC/WBMC), TalkTalk and Sky. The ADSL24 one will be WBC, which all except TT and Sky are as well. So the choice of router is just what the tech support at any particular ISP have decided they can recommend and train their staff to support. Obviously no ISP can assess and support every router on the market.

There is no underlying technical reason that I'm aware of.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 21-Jun-12 20:53:20
Print Post

Listen to what RobertoS has said - it is all there.

As for the ASUS - a quick review says yes it should be fine. However, wait until just before your connection uis upgraded and then if you do find an issue it is easy enough to return it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User drws
(newbie) Thu 21-Jun-12 21:26:53
Print Post

I just bought an Asus N66U, very impressed.
Really good wifi signal strength, mine is currently only on 60mw power (out of 100mw for EU) and its the strongest signal I've had with any kit. (opposite corner of the house downstairs from the router)
Web interface is ok, lots of options but if you're into your Linux (I'm a Linux software dev) you can telnet to the box and you've got root access.
I've been using that to write my own scripts to monitor kit and custom ipv6 firewall rules.
The feature where you can plug in a USB drive and schedule downloads (http, FTP, BitTorrent, usenet) overnight when you might get a better bandwidth cap or lower contention has been quite useful.

I bought it thinking I was going to stick ddwrt or tomato on it but really it's quite configurable as is.

You can demo the GUI on Asus' website here:
http://service.asus.com/demoui/RT%2DN66U/EN/index.html

I'm currently using it on virgin media 50mb, but it's also been on a 1gb link when I wanted to test the throughput, I got just over 850mbps routing from wan to lan. (I suspect it was the server that bottlenecked it a bit)
In a few days time it is going to its final home on an AAISP FTTC connection. (customers of theirs will appriciate why I like the Asus can do my downloads between 2am and 6am for me!)

Edited by drws (Thu 21-Jun-12 21:35:58)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Jun-12 21:39:37
Print Post

[re: drws] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by drws:
That looks like a very nice router... I'm running a Billion 7800N at the moment, but I miss the 5GHz band frown

Probably overkill for my needs and not cheap, but what the hell- I've only got one router at the moment, I feel much less vulnerable when I've got two smile

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Jun-12 22:40:57
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Have you got a cricket box?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Jun-12 23:10:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, but I like to cover all points in case the Billion throws a googly and I end up with ashes tongue

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Mancine
(newbie) Sun 24-Jun-12 16:04:06
Print Post

Hi guys, thanks for your responses, that all makes sense smile
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 27-Jun-12 09:57:26
Print Post

[re: drws] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by drws:
I've been looking at a few reviews... generally very good, but this one indicates that it doesn't work too well with IPv6 (firmware version 3.1.0.76 according to the screenshot).

Is this something you've been able to check?

(I see you've been using it with Virgin, not sure if they support IPv6)

Bill
Standard User drws
(newbie) Fri 29-Jun-12 20:30:21
Print Post

I'm still on 3.0.0.3.112 at the moment, which is the latest stable release on Asus' website.
3.1.x.x is the beta firmware.
in release notes for 3.0.0.3.108 an IPv6 fix was applied. Which was released after the last 3.1.x.x beta firmware.
http://uk.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/...

Going to move it over to my FTTC connection (from VM) this weekend where I can use the IPv6. (I've got several ipv6 servers on the net so I need it to work as well.)

I'll update in a few days...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to