General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 22-Jun-12 17:54:49
Print Post

Newbie questions on FTTC

[link to this post]

Well, despite having registered for notifications and not getting anything it seems BT have switched on the FTTC in our village and are accepting orders...

Anyway, a couple of daft questions...

are there any technical differences between the 40 and 80 meg products? Question is based on an estimated speed of 45meg down and 9meg up on my line so if I go for the cheaper 40 meg product with BT does that mean it will just be capped at 40 meg or will it be substantially less than this and i'll need to order the 80meg package to get that sort of speed (the difference between 40 and 45 for me is irrelevant, I'm on a 1meg connection at the moment)

Apart from the lack of customer service from BT, what other things do I need to watch out for given that BT are substantially cheaper than anyone else?

many thanks,
Richard
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-12 18:07:57
Print Post

Re: Newbie questions on FTTC

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If you order the 40 product, then yes, the sync will be capped at 40. If they are predicting 45, I'd plump for the 40 product myself. Not worth the extra bucks for the small additional sync rate.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Jun-12 18:08:30
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

There's no technical difference, just the speed caps. But as I read the web site, (hurriedly), it looks as though the 40Mbps product has a 40GB per month allowance, whereas the 80Mbps one is "unlimited".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-12 18:18:07
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
If you order the 40 product, then yes, the sync will be capped at 40. If they are predicting 45, I'd plump for the 40 product myself. Not worth the extra bucks for the small additional sync rate.

My estimate is 44 / 6 - and I'm probably going to go with Sky, on the Pro plan as I want that 6, not the 2 limit smile

James - be* pro - 16.8mbps sync - BQM
FTTC cab arrived 18-jun-2012 (due Mar 2011) - Openreach estimate 44.6Mbps / 6.5Mbps
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-12 18:18:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There's no technical difference, just the speed caps. But as I read the web site, (hurriedly), it looks as though the 40Mbps product has a 40GB per month allowance, whereas the 80Mbps one is "unlimited".

Thats because the unlimited product changed from 40mbps to 80mbps at the same price - the limited usage product is still stuck at 40.

James - be* pro - 16.8mbps sync - BQM
FTTC cab arrived 18-jun-2012 (due Mar 2011) - Openreach estimate 44.6Mbps / 6.5Mbps
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 22-Jun-12 19:33:13
Print Post

Many thanks - just what I needed to know.

R.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Jun-12 22:41:33
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
My estimate is 44 / 6 - and I'm probably going to go with Sky, on the Pro plan as I want that 6, not the 2 limit smile
BT 40GB is 40/10 isn't it?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

Standard User legume
(committed) Fri 22-Jun-12 23:31:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Maybe not technical as such, but I think I read somewhere on an openreach page that 80 got twice as much bandwidth as 40 during local contention (30 vs 15 IIRC).

Of course it may never kick in anyway and what I read was a while ago, so may be outdated.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-12 23:32:38
Print Post

From those that I have installed, Sky's basic product is 40/2.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Jun-12 23:59:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
From those that I have installed, Sky's basic product is 40/2.
Correct, but they have higher available.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to