General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User legume
(committed) Sun 24-Jun-12 11:43:38
Print Post

VDSL what effect on ADSL2 speeds?

[link to this post]

I should be able to get VDSL soon, so have been using the BT wholesale checker recently (nothing showing yet, though cabs are in place and exchange has June date).

Today I notice that my predicted ADSL2 speed has been cut quite dramaticly -

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

I currently sync around 7mbit with 1 up (3km line 44db atten, fast path) and though I can't remember what it said exactly before, my 7mbit was in the top of the range.

So this makes me wonder just how much people getting VDSL2 are going to mess up the speeds for ADSL2 users - of course it may be just the checker - anyone have any experience/info on this?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jun-12 12:32:44
Print Post

Re: VDSL what effect on ADSL2 speeds?

[re: legume] [link to this post]

Who is you ISP?

It may be that BTw has no BB data on your line and it's always been like this.

When my exchange as FTTC'ed it had no effect on my ADSL estimates.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User legume
(committed) Sun 24-Jun-12 12:48:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I'm with Entanet - who do use BT.

This has only just happened - recently the estimated speeds were accurate.

Maybe they just changed the checker so they meet their uplift predictions easily (7.06 for me).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jun-12 15:01:06
Print Post

It'll do what it will do. Don't get so hung up on the checkers results. smile

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 24-Jun-12 15:25:55
Print Post

My ADSL estimates went up and down for no apparent reason. Ignore it, you are getting what you are getting. It has nothing to do with VDSL.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jun-12 16:36:49
Print Post

There shouldn't be any actual change in ADSL2 speeds.

I'm currently sitting on a new FTTC connection with the old ADSL2+ connection still live on a different phone line (into the same cabinet). Some computers are still on the old connection so I can compare the two. Enabling the cabinet for FTTC had no effect on the ADSL2+ connection speed nor stability.

The FTTC connection is a huge improvement. Although the download speed has only increased by a factor of five (the cabinet is about a klilometre away), upload speed has improved by a factor of fifteen. Line stability has gone from about a dozen disconnections per day on ADSL2+ to none on FTTC.

I don't think there's anything you need worry about.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Sun 24-Jun-12 16:38:43)

Standard User legume
(committed) Mon 25-Jun-12 19:32:25
Print Post

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Maybe it's just a random thing - but if it's deliberate I would consider it a bit naughty to under represent available speeds.
Standard User legume
(committed) Thu 28-Jun-12 12:58:26
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
My ADSL estimates went up and down for no apparent reason. Ignore it, you are getting what you are getting. It has nothing to do with VDSL.

Just like you said - it's changed back now.

"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 7.5Mbps."
  Print Thread

Jump to