General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AtheistM
(newbie) Mon 25-Jun-12 15:00:12
Print Post

FTTC availability at LCSHW (Shaw) Exchange

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

New member with a rollout question. I have recently moved and am now hooked up to the Shaw exchange (LCSHW). According to samknows.com there is FTTC in the area, but currently my cabinet isn't supoprting it. According to the BT rollout map, it says that Infinity will be available by June 30th 2012.

I'm concerned that, now approaching that date, my cabinet actually won't be upgraded and I'll be stuck with hideous 3Mbps forever!

Can anyone advise me where my nearest cabinet is and whether/when there is a plan to fibre enable it?

Many thanks in advance.

Mike
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Mon 25-Jun-12 15:26:58
Print Post

Re: FTTC availability at LCSHW (Shaw) Exchange

[re: AtheistM] [link to this post]

Please let us know your postcode. (It helps to have some information with which to work!)

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User AtheistM
(newbie) Mon 25-Jun-12 15:28:00
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

OL14PN smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Mon 25-Jun-12 15:39:40
Print Post

Thank you. I have some information that has been extracted from the December 2011 document --
LCSHW,SHAW,OL14PN,{LCSHW}{M_F},1,25%,,,,
LCSHW,SHAW,OL14PN,{LCSHW}{P13},0,75%,,,,
We can see that 75% of the lines originating from your postcode area are connected via the PCP number P13 whilst the other 25% are Exchange Only lines (i.e. go directly to the exchange without going via a PCP).

The bad news is, that at the time the document was prepared, FTTC deployment was not scheduled for {LCSHW}{P13}. frown

There is an April 2012 document but only ISPs have access to it. Perhaps James, from ADSL24, may notice this thread and kindly look up the current status for {LCSHW}{P13}, please? wink

Edited by burakkucat (Mon 25-Jun-12 16:22:25)

Standard User AtheistM
(newbie) Mon 25-Jun-12 16:09:19
Print Post

Thanks for this. Hopefully the chap can provide more up to date info. I'm beginning to feel that sense of dread that I'll be on copper ADSL forever, unless I move house..!
Standard User AtheistM
(newbie) Mon 25-Jun-12 20:30:43
Print Post

Hmmm I actually work for an ISP and having checked into this with colleagues, the April spreadsheet appears to still state the 25/75 ratio. I guess (or assume) this means that I have no chance of getting FTTC or for that matter FTTP.

I have cable installed at the premises (even though I don't use it), so perhaps that explains why my cabinet isn't being enabled, or why FTTP won 't be installed.

Might have to go with Virgin, which I really wanted to avoid :/
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Tue 26-Jun-12 00:26:17
Print Post

The other thing you need to determine is whether your line is Exchange Only. Perhaps your colleague will also be able to assist with that? If not, you need to talk to an Openreach engineer and ask if she/he would look up the status for you.

If your line is connected via {LCSHW}{P13}, then you may just need to be patient.

Standard User cragz2012
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 08:15:10
Print Post

I share your pain. I moved from Top Sholver 30mb + virgin (had no issues over 6 years plus the free doubled speeds) to bottom sholver and the space of one road betwen the two meant I ended up in 3mb area for god sake.

Talktalk are in no rush either. Everyone else is getting it activated this week and coming weeks on BT & Plusnet but I may have to wait until September or longer.

I would trade houseswith you just to get that Virgin cable back. Least theres no connection and speed issues like DSL providers have.

Not sure which one you work for but atleast Virgin give permanent discounts and double your speed for free every couple of years or so. Your mad not to want to go with them! If id have stayed where I lived and with Virgin I would of had 60mb unlimited broadband, no speed or connection issues and a phone for £28 p/m

Edited by cragz2012 (Tue 26-Jun-12 08:19:29)

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Tue 26-Jun-12 08:19:51
Print Post

Unfortunately (as discussed via PM) Cab 13 is still not planned for FTTC frown

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User AtheistM
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 09:19:35
Print Post

[re: cragz2012] [link to this post]

Yeah we moved from Derker, where we had BT and I was getting rates of 52Mbps often and police of around 15-17Mbps. Now it all feels a bit like I've gone back to original ADSL. frown

I can't get any sense out of BT on the matter and have spent a couple of days on and off looking into this, getting help from folks like James (adsl24) here and guys in our tech support. It could have been resolved in a simple "yes" or "no" answer from BT. I should know better really.

Good to hear you've had a decent experience with Virgin. I've just read so many negative reviews and forum comments about them, so am wary. That said, you're old place is only up the hill from me, so maybe that's a good sign that the Virgin quality in our area in general is OK.

Sorry to hear you're stuck with olde worlde rates now though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to