General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Mon 25-Jun-12 22:19:56
Print Post

I'm going to cry

[link to this post]

Moved house a couple of years ago and for a laugh I just put my old phone number into the checker to see what kind of speed I'd have got if I was still there (currently waiting for FTTC to be rolled out where I am now)

This is what it says:

For Telephone Number 01784XXXXXX on Exchange ASHFORD

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 18.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 16.5Mbps and 20Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 18.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 16.5Mbps and 20Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a WBC Fibre To The Premises technology with an estimated Broadband downstream line speed of up to 330Mbps and upstream line speed of up to 30Mbps.

Our records show the following network service information for your premises:-
Single Dwelling Unit Residential
OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

Furthermore your exchange has been enabled for multicast services on fibre lines, please contact your provider for further details.

If you decide to place an order for a fibre product, an appointment might be required where an engineer may need to visit your premises who will, where possible, supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

I could have had FTTP!

--
Andrew
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 25-Jun-12 22:32:09
Print Post

Re: I'm going to cry

[re: AndrewUK] [link to this post]

Not only that, but you couldn't afford to buy the house now it has that available!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Tue 26-Jun-12 21:37:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes indeed!
I doubt I could afford a FTTP install either, I would imagine it's a lot pricier than FTTC for the few that can receive it.

--
Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Moradin
(member) Tue 26-Jun-12 21:40:09
Print Post

so, thinking about the above, and FTTP..

Doesn't it add ''value'' and ''desireability'' to a property..

it does for us internet freaks.. (and there are a lot of us !!!)

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 26-Jun-12 21:41:35
Print Post

I don't think FTTP installs are any more expensive than FTTC in the areas that are getting it.

It's the Fibre on Demand to replace FTTC installations that is expected to be extremely pricey.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

Standard User simon194
(member) Tue 26-Jun-12 21:51:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndrewUK:
Yes indeed!
I doubt I could afford a FTTP install either, I would imagine it's a lot pricier than FTTC for the few that can receive it.

BT are doing free FTTP installation for those that can get it. It's FTTP On Demand that should be rolling out next year that will cost.
Standard User schander
(learned) Wed 27-Jun-12 12:24:30
Print Post

I remember reading that the 330mbps service was going to cost ISP's £80+vat.
So I can imagine that it'll be quite expensive to the (pro/con)sumer.

Satpal
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Jun-12 12:54:13
Print Post

theres fttp in ashford every time ive enquired they just said it doesnt exist what area of ashford was you old house in as where we currently live is very close to the exchange
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Wed 27-Jun-12 13:31:42
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Don't forget there are two Ashfords, one in Kent the other which I think the OP is referring to in Middlesex.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 27-Jun-12 14:15:45
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Samknows thinks there are three Ashford exchanges. One in Kent, one in Surrey, and Ashford (Middlesex) in Surrey. But could have an error, as it shows Ashford (Middlesex) at the same postcode and location as the Surrey one. But with different details.

The OP's dialling code is for Staines in Surrey. However, according to samknows both Ashford (Surrey) and Ashford (Middlesex) have that same code and seem to be at the same address, which isn't the same as the Staines exchange.

Needs a bit more looking into, but I haven't time right now. We can be sure he isn't on the Kent one from the code, and fairly sure not the Ashford (Middlesx) one from the paste in the OP.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to