General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jun-12 01:04:10
Print Post

32 FTTC cabs listed fom installation

[link to this post]

As above , exchange was supposed to be enabled for FTTC by 01/06/12 according to samknows and the openreach rollout plan fttc where and when , But today out of the blue the local councils streetworks web page is reporting NGA related work at 32 different PCP's served by the same exchange, including my local PCP , the dates for this work to be carried out are spread over July & and the beginning of August ,

Would those in the know say that this is a realistic timescale
And is it standard practice to install so many FTTC cabs in one go ?

Install "X"m of 1 way power duct in Footway,Install "X"m of 1 way poly duct in Footway,Performing an excavation to expose existing power cable in Footway,Provide 1 Cabinet and base (NGA cabinets 1.5m x 0.5m)."X" replaces the actual value as it differs from cab to cab

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 26-Jun-12 01:08:18)

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Tue 26-Jun-12 01:44:14
Print Post

Re: 32 FTTC cabs listed fom installation

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

The sam knows dates i wouldnt put any faith in them, most likely your exchange and its cabinets where planned to go live by the 30/06/2012, this is just a place holding date- the date will now move to the next hollding slot which is the 30 sep 2012.

The engineering teams work at best speed so they move from one cabinet to the next as fast as possible, their are many stages to getting a fttc cabinet installed and then live.
Most likely the teams have finished in a nearby exchange and have now come to work on your exchange and its cabinets- hence the work spread out over July/August.

The amount of FTTC cabs being installed all depends on the size of the exchange and how many are approved for deployment.

Will likely find that your exchange will go live by September or earlier- once work in the exchange is done (if needed) and 10 cabinets are live- the exchange will start accepting orders with the remaining cabs going live in the following weeks/months.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Tue 26-Jun-12 01:45:09)

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Tue 26-Jun-12 01:49:08
Print Post

Yeah, they generally seem to swarm an area and install loads of cabs in one fell swoop. Subsequent testing takes a few weeks-few months longer once the cab has been installed. I'd speculate that you're on the home straight though!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jun-12 04:36:19
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

At last, if the other exchanges in this area that have already been enabled are anything to go by then it won't take long before they accept orders after the cabs are in, As for the amount of cabs ,I thought that they just put in 10 at first then others later,, but i must of mis read that it's only after the first 10 cabs are live that they accept orders,
As for the exchange being enabled im not sure if it is or isnt, but i did read somewhere that it was supposed to be a "child" and it's "parent" has been accepting orders for over 12mths in any case, but how accurate that info is/was i don't know

Standard User Moradin
(member) Tue 26-Jun-12 07:52:37
Print Post

they did the same where i live.

all the cabs went in.. then, in one day, they had dug up next to loads of cabs at the same time. (i presumed to drag the fibre)

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Tue 26-Jun-12 10:18:10
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
once work in the exchange is done (if needed) and 10 cabinets are live- the exchange will start accepting orders with the remaining cabs going live in the following weeks/months.

I'm not so sure about the 10 cabinet thing, I'm monitoring three local exchanges checking if every cabinet is live once a week. Both exchanges went live with 5 cabinets each, and now one has ten and the other eight.

Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Tue 26-Jun-12 12:26:45
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Yeah, it can't be a rule that "10 cabinets must go live" because some exchanges don't have 10 FTTC cabinets ever scheduled to be built.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Tue 26-Jun-12 12:27:33)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jun-12 13:12:39
Print Post

Well just checked the openreach FTTC where and when site it now shows a date for September 12 , useless company , even the clowns who they get to submit the planning apps are as bad as they only submitted them 1 month before (may) unless that too lies with openreach ?
so it doesn't really come as any great surprise really first they gave a date as December 12 then moved it forwards by 6 months to June, and now September they may as well not bother giving dates out at all

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 26-Jun-12 13:15:37)

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Tue 26-Jun-12 13:20:54
Print Post

Ignore the date. It's just a place holder and does not mean the date has been "pushed back".

Basically if the cab has not been enabled by the end of the quarter they just move the date on another quarter, regardless of the actual date it may be live. It could still go live tomorrow, or a year from now!

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User kitcat
(member) Tue 26-Jun-12 13:37:29
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Ronski

Smaller exchanges are likely to be connected to a bigger parent exchange as child exchanges. So they don't need 10 Cabs to go live as the count will be against the parent exchange.

I presume 10 cabs gives enough scale that ISPs are prepared to pay for the backhaul from the parent to their network. If it was fewer no-one would want to pay for the backhaul as they couldn't get enough customers. I think connectivity is in 1Ge blocks from the OR equipment. You may find that all the Margate / Ramsgate ones come from one parent exchange.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to