General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trueadm
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 17:54:55
Print Post

Is my cabinet going to get upgraded (Medway)?

[link to this post]

I've just moved into a new house and found out that neither Virgin or BT offer their fibre services to my road (which is unfortunate as the road next to mine has Virgin enabled on it). I was wondering if my cabinet was on the planned schedule for the fibre upgrade? My postcode is ME1 3HJ (I'm located in Rochester).

Thanks guys!
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Tue 26-Jun-12 18:13:37
Print Post

Re: Is my cabinet going to get upgraded (Medway)?

[re: trueadm] [link to this post]

Hi your postcode comes back with this from the Dec 2011 spreadsheet

NDMED CHATHAM ME13HJ {NDMED}{P26} 0 100% 21.35 7b Yes FTTC

100% of the phone lines on your postcode go to cabinet 26, it was planned to have FTTC enabled in phase 7b.

If you have a BT phone line/number check the BT wholesale availability checker

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User trueadm
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 21:22:37
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. Just tried that link and it reports BT fibre will be available at an estimated date of 30th September 2012.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 27-Jun-12 14:01:10
Print Post

[re: trueadm] [link to this post]

The 30th of September is just a holding date it is not a go live date, cabinets will go live once all the associated work has been completed, this can take weeks/months if their are problems and planning delays.

If you can find your cabinet and check on either roadworks.org or local council roadworks page if roadworks does not cover your area, you can see when works will happen on the cabinet.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User trueadm
(newbie) Wed 15-Aug-12 17:04:52
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Some bad news for people living in the Rochester area regarding BT Fibre, I contacted Openreach and their response was:

I'm afraid that we are currently experiencing delays rolling out fibre broadband in your area.

The ductwork which connects your area to the exchange has collapsed and is blocked.

Unfortunately, there is also an embargo on excavations in your area due to the Olympics.
Once we have been given the all clear by your council, our contractors will be able to resume work.

However, notice given to me by the project manager, currently shows that your cabinet won't be ready for service until February 2013.

I realise this is frustrating news and we are doing our uttermost to deliver fibre broadband to your area.

Very disappointing!
  Print Thread

Jump to