General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dparry
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 21:28:30
Print Post

Cabinet installed but no Fibre

[link to this post]

I've been following the forum for a while and its been great for learning about Fibre, I'm wondering if anyone could help me out a little further with whats the delay on my FTTC availability. BT Wholesale Checker has been moved back to 30th September 2012 as of today.

I've found my cabinet at this location GOOGLE MAPS and here's a picture HERE.

According to the December spreadsheet this is my cabinet as 100% are connected to it for the postcode and also the standard cabinet is sticked up 16 and the spreadsheet details it as being the same reference. By pure luck last week on a early dog walk I saw a Telnet engineer (contractor?) working on the cabinet so I asked him if it was up and ready and he mentioned he was "handing it over to BT today as it was all set to go". I've even put my ear to the cabinet and you can hear a low-level fan noise akin to a PC on idle.

BUT STILL NO FIBRE frown
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Jun-12 22:20:58
Print Post

Re: Cabinet installed but no Fibre

[re: dparry] [link to this post]

Just because Telent have done their bit, doesn't mean the whole shebang is ready to rock and roll. Sit tight. It will arrive at some point.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 26-Jun-12 23:01:44
Print Post

Mine was like that for 2-3 months at least.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dparry
(newbie) Wed 27-Jun-12 07:36:18
Print Post

I'm just a little lost with at what stage this install. I'm even quite suspicious that the cabinet is probably live and yet the database hasn't been updated yet possibly excuse this takes a couple of weeks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 27-Jun-12 09:28:31
Print Post

Cabinet may be active, but may be the only one on exchange yet, so waiting to get a few more done before unleashing it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dparry
(newbie) Wed 27-Jun-12 18:59:55
Print Post

Unbelievably they've just flicked the switch (or just updated their checker database more likely). Who knows maybe BT read these forums? smile

BT Consumer Checker

I'm sure the cab was live last week and its just an example of slow internal communication.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Thu 28-Jun-12 12:12:56
Print Post

Have you placed an order?
Standard User dparry
(newbie) Fri 29-Jun-12 23:01:12
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Yes Zadeksm, I managed to place an order on the same day the BT consumer checker showed available now. The BT Wholesale checker wasnt quite so obvious as the consumer it changed only slightly from this:

"Your cabinet is planned to have FTTC by September 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 68.2Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps."

to:

"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 68.2Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps."

Notice the only difference is omission of the "You cabinet is planned" sentence. My theory behind this is that the sentence regarding "your line" is just showing that your exchange supports fibre, not your cabinet as well.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 29-Jun-12 23:26:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by dparry:
Yes Zadeksm, I managed to place an order on the same day the BT consumer checker showed available now. The BT Wholesale checker wasnt quite so obvious as the consumer it changed only slightly from this:

"Your cabinet is planned to have FTTC by September 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 68.2Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps."

to:

"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 68.2Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps."

Notice the only difference is omission of the "You cabinet is planned" sentence. My theory behind this is that the sentence regarding "your line" is just showing that your exchange supports fibre, not your cabinet as well.

Posts from many other people has confirmed that the BT ADSL Checker DOES give details for the individual PCP as areas within a planned exchange which are not getting FTTC do not mention FTTC.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User dparry
(newbie) Sat 30-Jun-12 00:02:37
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

So these are people where for some reason BT arent laying fibre to their cabinet (FTTC)? And thus only the exchange supports fibre?

Apologies, I am still learning!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to