General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jun-12 10:35:48
Print Post

Littlehampton finally getting cabs

[link to this post]

Hurrah!!

Exchange earmarked to go live in a few days and up until about 2 weeks ago there was no sign of life at around 20 of the 34 cabs I've located.

2 weeks ago some random road works appeared in places not next to the existing cab and I thought nothing of it, until this week a number of cabs have been installed!

I've found 4 cabs so far, 1 next to an existing cab and 3 around 50-100m away.

Here's looking forward to ditching my 3Mb ADSL for something a little faster - I miss my 50Mb cable I had in Bristol.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
3.48Mb/s - 0.91Mb/s - 27ms
http://speedtest.net/result/1940826652.png
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Jun-12 13:12:44
Print Post

Re: Littlehampton finally getting cabs

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

I think the prep for FTTC cab for my local cab indicaqtes it will be about 80M away from the PCP. 80M closer to me smile

I;m guessing (I don't know) they are doing this to push the coverage out further from the town.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 27-Jun-12 13:36:51
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

80meters seems a bit far away from that pcp, usually its a close as possible to the existing pcp where room allows for the FTTC cab to be installed.

Speed on FTTC is all dependent on how long the copper lines are from the pcp to your property, a closer FTTC cab will not benefit you at all.
If Openreach want to increase coverage they would either have to move the pcp or install a new one further down the road to increase the range/coverage which would be rare since its still the commercial rollout and that would be costly.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Wed 27-Jun-12 13:37:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Wed 27-Jun-12 13:43:29
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
Speed on FTTC is all dependent on how long the copper lines are from the pcp to your property, a closer FTTC cab will not benefit you at all.

And, of course, the spped on FTTC is actually dependent on the line length from the premises to the PCP and then to the FTTC CAB so any distance between the two CABs in any direction is not good!

I assume the tie pairs between the two cabinets are "all" carrying VDSL2 - does this not cause vast amounts of cross talk during this run?

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User DarthVodafone
(newbie) Fri 06-Jul-12 09:19:09
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Just returned from working away and noticed a new cabinet a few metres away from the old in Parkside Avenue at the corner with The Winter Knoll when out walking the dog this morning. Will have to check my cabinet in Berry Lane later - fingers crossed.

Got all excited and then noticed SamKnows shows RFS date has slipped 6 months to 31/12/2012.

I don't understand all the acronyms in this thread. I was under the misapprehension that the closer the cabinet the better you were likely to get too.
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Jul-12 22:23:09
Print Post

[re: DarthVodafone] [link to this post]

I'd not had a chance to look over that way for cab yet, but that's encouraging that they'll be over my side soon if they are doing the cabs in numerical order.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s

Now
Andrews & Arnold
Standard User DarthVodafone
(newbie) Wed 11-Jul-12 10:56:13
Print Post

Noticed BT engineer this morning connecting up the new cabinet across the road from me. I asked him regarding go-live date as samknows now saying December and he said that he was doing the fibre-optic today but that power was still needed for this cabinet. Although he had no idea of the overall picture for Littlehampton, he would be surprised if we had to wait that long. They are keen to get everything up and running and paying as soon as possible.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Jul-12 10:51:36
Print Post

[re: DarthVodafone] [link to this post]

I've seen a few guys with the little tents in Wick and Rustington and meant to ask them if they knew about any timescales but I've not had the time.

I saw what I think was the tubing being pulled into the pit next to my cab, so hopefully my cabinet is not too far away from being installed.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s

Now
Andrews & Arnold
Standard User Zackary
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 00:49:01
Print Post

I'm next door to Littlehampton, in Rustington. I've been keeping a close eye on fttc progress. Today at 2 local cabinets (one of them being the one I'm connected to), they laid a concrete base ready for an FTTC cabinet. smile The exchange is due to go live September, and my is phase 8a, which I know is anytime now. So it's all looking to be on track. I have no idea if fibre optic cable has been laid though or if there is power ready to go into my cabinet.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 18-Jul-12 01:01:18
Print Post

[re: Zackary] [link to this post]

As the base has only just been installed you are a good few weeks yet for all the necessary steps to be finished before the cabinet is ready for service.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to