General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User veletron
(newbie) Wed 27-Jun-12 13:03:25
Print Post

Bannockburn FTTC (RFS 01/06/12)

[link to this post]

Hi

My exchange has an RFS date of 01/06/12 (Bannockburn) http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESBAN

To date, there has been no work carried out by BT Openreach in the local area. Additionally, checking Stirling Councils planning site shows only a single application for a DSLAM in Bannockburn! I am assuming they are well behind schedule.

Also, does anyone have access to a PCP that covers the postcodes for my area. They are not in the December PCP.

What's the usual lead-time between the RFS date and being able to actually order FTTC in an area?

Nigel
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 27-Jun-12 14:10:29
Print Post

Re: Bannockburn FTTC (RFS 01/06/12)

[re: veletron] [link to this post]

Samknows dates are only estmated live dates for the exchange, cabinet works will go on for weeks/months later after a exchange has been enabled.

The engineering teams work at best speed moving between cabinets, their are many different stages to getting a FTTC cab installed to live, alot of problems do occur which slows down work on individual cabinets.
Since the teams need to move quickly between cabinets it means that some cabinets are delayed until they can return.

Looking at your local area 3 exchanges are planned to have FTTC rolled out, Alloa and Bannockburn are both planned for September, the 3rd is December so its quite likely that the teams are working in Alloa and the move across or are still in already enabled exchanges.

As for the usual lead tme, how long is a piece of string, it varys by area and what resoruces are avaliable, the rollout moves at best speed.

One of the ips's on this forum has access to the April 2012 spreadsheet and should be able to tell you what cabinet you are connected to and if it is planned to have FTTC and where its located.

If it is planned then you can either use roadworks.org or if that does not cover your area the council roadwork website that does and keep an eye on roadworks planned on your pcp.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Wed 27-Jun-12 14:11:55)

Standard User veletron
(newbie) Wed 27-Jun-12 14:56:16
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks, looks like a bit more of a wait required then... The BT OpenReach 'Where and When' page was saying June 2012. Just checked today, and its now September 2012 though.

http://www.roadworksscotland.org/

Is the site for roadworks in Scotland. BT are listed at several sites, but not at the cabinets near my house frown

Maybe i'll be connected by Xmas!

Nigel

Edited by veletron (Wed 27-Jun-12 16:48:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 26-Sep-12 16:53:51
Print Post

So, that's wonderful

BT, the blighters have announced that FTTC is available in my area (I assume that means they are done with it), but it turns out that only around 50% of lines connected to the exchange can actually get it. Unfortunately, my line is one of the ones which cannot.

Thanks for nothing BT!
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 26-Sep-12 18:09:12
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

BT announce the exchange as accepting orders after a few of the cabinets are ready (and the exchange itself, of course).

They may still be working on more of the cabinets in the near future, and there may be a few that have encountered installation problems (which usually knock back service between 2 and 6 months).

There may even be one or two cabinets that have been left until a future phase, but this seems less likely.

The best way to find out *exactly* seems to be an Openreach email address that I can't recall exactly (something about "complaints or enquiries"). Search on this forum - it should be easy to find.
Standard User iwish
(committed) Wed 26-Sep-12 20:06:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by veletron:
Hi

Thanks, looks like a bit more of a wait required then... The BT OpenReach 'Where and When' page was saying June 2012. Just checked today, and its now September 2012 though.

http://www.roadworksscotland.org/

Is the site for roadworks in Scotland. BT are listed at several sites, but not at the cabinets near my house frown

Maybe i'll be connected by Xmas!

not all of bt jobs will show on that page and not all the bt jobs that are shown on the map will get done

Nigel
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 30-Sep-12 12:36:29
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

Well, its the 30th today - the date on which www.dslchecker.bt.com said my cabinet would be enabled by. Just looked at DSLCheck once again, and all info's regarding the upgrade of my cabinet have been removed.

Drastic action now required. Either move house, it start a community fibre project to try and get some decent speeds to my estate. Probably the former, somewhere with Virgin Media, don't wish to line BT's pockets any further!

Sick to death of BT...

Having done some postcode checks it appears that only 50% of Bannockburn got its cabinets upgraded. BT, in its press releases has been quoting the total no of lines at the exchange (8000). False advertising, that in my book. Looking online the 50% availability is not at all uncommon.

Pished right off!!
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Sun 30-Sep-12 12:48:58
Print Post

It's not unknown for the BT checker to "blank" the cabinet just prior to taking orders.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Sep-12 12:54:59
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gadget:
It's not unknown for the BT checker to "blank" the cabinet just prior to taking orders.
Quite common in fact. I don't know which checker is being discussed, but this one tends to do that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 15:31:54
Print Post

The 30th is one of 4 end quater holding dates Openreach estimate work to be completed by, the cabinet is ready when its ready, as others have said above give it a few days.

Its a commercial deployment, Openreach will only enable the cabinets that it deems will give a good return- Openreach will return in later phases to enable more cabinets in a area, so the inital wave is not the end of the rollout.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Sun 30-Sep-12 15:32:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to