General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ixel
(learned) Wed 27-Jun-12 21:04:47
Print Post

Multicast services? A second 'different size' fibre cabinet?

[link to this post]

I did post this on the BT forum but haven't had a response yet so thought I'd post here.

Basically my question is what is meant by this:
"Furthermore your exchange has been enabled for multicast services on fibre lines, please contact your provider for further details."

After noticing another fibre cabinet, a bigger one (Huawei I guess), being built next to the smaller one I thought I'd check to see if it was due to the fact the cabinet I'm on is already full (had Infinity since the 8th and am the first one in the cabinet), but it's not as it's still accepting orders. When checking I noticed the above message that I've not seen before when previously checking my line information.

I presume they're building a bigger one next to the current smaller one (confirmed as an ECI, though I was supplied with a Huawei modem?) because they want to expand capacity.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Jun-12 21:17:38
Print Post

Re: Multicast services? A second 'different size' fibre cabi

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Multicast is just one-to-many communication - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast

The BBC were experimenting with it a while ago and some ISPs let you use it, nowadays everyone just uses iPlayer.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Wed 27-Jun-12 21:25:09
Print Post

AFAIK, exchanges are either ECI or Huawei , so I'm suspicious that they are different vendors cabinets

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(learned) Wed 27-Jun-12 21:28:31
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I see. Perhaps it's a larger ECI cabinet then, I've never seen what a larger ECI looks like though (if one exists), but I definitely have been told that based on my discovery/medley phase tones that I'm on an ECI type cabinet, although I was given a Huawei modem.
Standard User smouty
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 11:14:49
Print Post

Is it like any if the ones shown on this page?

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Thu 28-Jun-12 13:58:09
Print Post

Hi,

I have seen the same in my area. I am connected to a smaller FTTC and a bigger CAB is being installed beside it. I assumed that it was being installed due to increased demands for capacity.
  Print Thread

Jump to