General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 28-Jun-12 09:02:01
Print Post

Installing MSANs at Exchange

[link to this post]

For ISPs that use their own backhaul they have their own MSANs installed at the exchange. At what point during the exchange becoming fibre enabled would these LLU MSAN's be enabled? I've read elsewhere that BT Infinity has a one month head start as it takes that long to install and enable a LLU MSAN - the implication being the process only starts once the first customers have signed up to BT.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jun-12 09:17:01
Print Post

Re: Installing MSANs at Exchange

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Most LLU providers already have their MSAN already installed, and as LLU operators will know about forthcoming Fibre roll-out and can order the GEA Fibre link cable in plenty of time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 28-Jun-12 09:26:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Most LLU providers already have their MSAN already installed, and as LLU operators will know about forthcoming Fibre roll-out and can order the GEA Fibre link cable in plenty of time.

That was my initial thought but I wondered if, with an exchange becoming fibre enabled, new MSANs had to be installed in addition. Either way though the gist of my question is whether other ISPs and their customer products are one month behind BT Infinity

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Thu 28-Jun-12 10:01:27
Print Post

it depends how old the current LLU MSANs are some support fibre some don't far as i know.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
40/2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jun-12 10:18:45
Print Post

There is nothing that forces them to be one month behind Infinity, all those using WBC can order at the same time, but volume wise Infinity is a lot more pipular due to pricing, same with TalkTalk and Sky.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(member) Thu 28-Jun-12 12:44:29
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
it depends how old the current LLU MSANs are some support fibre some don't far as i know.

I would assume that Sky, for example, have been installing MSANs that support fibre because I could order Sky's fibre service within a day of being able to order BT Infinity.

Talk Talk fibre availability, on the other hand, has gone from July to August to Register Interest.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jun-12 13:38:31
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Some isp's will of been using DSLAM's that where fiber ready, for several years,
it will just be a case of purchasing the fiber link and swapping the line cards or whatever else may be necessary Sky also upgraded it's existing network capacity too

Print Thread

Jump to