General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jkselondon
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 14:52:40
Print Post

Infinity Confusion

[link to this post]

Hi all
I live in SE London SE23 3LB and a few months back contacted BT to try and get infinity, was told over the phone all was good and an order was put thru.. The site survery was done and the installation date came, took the time off and waited.. No engineer arrived.. called BT and was told that i couldn't have infinity and it wasn't available..
After much protestation they apologised and that was that..
Today i had a BT engineer arrive on site to fix a noisy telephone line.. which was sorted, we asked if it was possible to have infinity and she said yes, its in the exhange and cabinet, can't see why not..
I called BT and was told.... sorry not at your address....
All very confusing and frustrating..
I've done some searches and could there be a delay in their 'computer says no' system updating on availabity or has all the bandwidth been alocated to other customers?
Any ideas anyone or anythings i should be doing to move this forward?
Cheers in advance JK
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jun-12 15:15:05
Print Post

Re: Infinity Confusion

[re: jkselondon] [link to this post]

What does the BT Wholesale checker from the link at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html say for your telephone number (copy/paste and blank out your number)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jkselondon
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 15:24:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi
I think its a no no.. Here is the outcome of the checker.. I'm on the FOREST HILL Exchange..

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 11Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 9Mbps and 13Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 11Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 9Mbps and 13Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Jun-12 15:38:30
Print Post

In which case checker does not believe your cabinet is enabled. What does http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php say for your postcode?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 28-Jun-12 15:43:06
Print Post

There is something odd about the data for that postcode, as only 94% of the lines seem to be covered.

15% are on cabinet 16 and should already have FTTC Infinity
77% are on cabinet 2 and expected to get FTTP Infinity
2% are on cabinet 30 and expected to get FTTP Infinity.

As you had a site survey, that suggests at the time FTTP was expected. Not FTTC. FTTP rollout is very patchy at the moment. We need to know what's in the April 2012 data but we don't have it frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 28-Jun-12 15:44:54)

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Thu 28-Jun-12 15:51:39
Print Post

Don't suppose the engineer mentioned which cabinet your connected to?

Standard User jkselondon
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 15:53:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks all,
Here is the detail from cool web home.

Postcode Exchange Service Type Probability Speed Increase Phase Cabinet
SE233LB FOREST HILL FTTC 15% 3.8 5b P16
SE233LB FOREST HILL FTTP 77% 3 5b P2
SE233LB FOREST HILL FTTP 2% 5.69 5b P30
SE233LB NEW CROSS This postcode has some Exchange Only lines
This means there is currently no cabinet to run FTTC from.
Openreach may deploy FTTC/P in the future to this area. 4% M_B
We have also checked the latest Openreach data, which tells us the following:
Exchange Name FTTC or FTTP Explanation
LSFOR FOREST HILL FTTX available Where cabinets/fibre have been installed orders are being accepted, you can check with your telephone number at the BT Wholesale Checker.
CLNEW NEW CROSS FTTC available Where cabinets/fibre have been installed orders are being accepted, you can check with your telephone number at the BT Wholesale Checker.

From Roberto's comments it would appear that Fiber to the premises is expected but not rolled out fully, and that there are a number of cabinets in the area?
So from what I was told by the BT engineer fixing the line... am i to think that either the checker software is not up to date or has me wrongly assigned to another cabinet?
Out of interest we are in a first floor flat (victorian conversion) would that affect the possiblity of install? The phone line currently runs exernally from the living room window..

All in all.. is it just a waiting game?

Thanks again JK
Standard User jkselondon
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 15:56:27
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Sorry no idea on cabinet, have txt them just now (as called me) so may get a reply!?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 28-Jun-12 16:07:56
Print Post

That New Cross 4% explains the missing few percent, as Openreach always round down in the spreadsheet. So we can easily lose 2%.

I think the site survey person probably got it wrong, or didn't realise it was a multi-occupancy building, or did realise and didn't want to upset you face to face with a possible argument resulting.

As far as I know FTTP is not available for multi-occupancy buildings. The reason (I believe) being that it would require fibre for every flat there being laid just to service your order, with only yours being connected.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 28-Jun-12 16:08:37)

Standard User jkselondon
(newbie) Thu 28-Jun-12 16:11:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah i see and what of fiber to the cabinet? or is it a case that if the cabinet is fiber to the premises then that is the only option offered?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to