General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RussellRafferty
(newbie) Fri 29-Jun-12 11:11:56
Print Post

Ashington exchange

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I am a bit concerned that my cabinet, when looking at the FTTC checker (Link: http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=NE625AY) hass less information listed than I expected. In fact, it has none!

I seem to remember that by June the 30th, Ashigngton will be blessed with FTTC and I can begin to get pretty high download speeds. Does any one have access to information that tells me that my local cabinet will be updated and if so is everything still on track for the end of this month?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Russell
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jun-12 11:15:49
Print Post

Re: Ashington exchange

[re: RussellRafferty] [link to this post]

Remember that even if the cabinet is upgraded, you will need to order one of the new services to actually get any speed boost.

Always best to double check with the BT Wholesale checker using your telephone number, as a postcode can have more than one cabinet in it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 29-Jun-12 11:46:17
Print Post

We have our own thread here - Ashington Thread

The December spreadsheet includes your post code but, as you say, has no data.

You don't live on a new build estate do you (although looking up the post code on Google maps suggests you live around Stakeford). I know of at least two FTTC CABs in Stakeford - I pass them on my way to work every day!

Most of the work seems to have been done apart from much digging - presumably to clear blocked ducts. Although the date has been put back to 30th September I would hope the exchange will go live before then but to get all of the CABs enabled would, I imagine, take until the end of the year or later.

Have you checked the BT ADSL Checker with tour telephone number to see what it says (doesnt work if your voice service is unbundled by SKY or TakTalk).

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 29-Jun-12 13:45:12
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I am with sky, unfortunately, so I don't think I can use that service. Our house is not a new build, either. Dissapointed to learn about that 30th September, mind frown

Russell
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:39:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by RussellRafferty:
I am with sky, unfortunately, so I don't think I can use that service. Our house is not a new build, either. Dissapointed to learn about that 30th September, mind frown

Russell

So have you tried to Address option on the checker? House number and post code get good results but it may simply turn that into the telephone number which wouldnt work. The post code only checker isnt worth bothering!

You could try a near neighbour's telephone number or the house next door in the house number and post code variant!

It does seem odd that there is no data at all in the spreadsheet though!

For information you are reckoned to be on PCP 2 along with 100% of the following post codes so a check on any phone number in this post code will give you a result (shops etc are useful for this!).

NE625BB
NE625YQ
NE625BT
NE625AU
NE625YN
NE625AX
NE625AY
NE625BH
NE625AJ
NE625BG
NE625BQ
NE625BE
NE625BD
NE625BL
NE625YH
NE625AZ
NE625BN
NE625AL
NE625BA
NE625TW
NE625YL
NE625BJ
NE625LJ

It seems a bit odd that PCP 2 is so far from the exchange but presumably is something lost in the mists of time!

ADSL speeds must be pretty dreadful!

EDIT:-

Tried the Kielder 2 Fish Bar and got this:-

For Telephone Number 01670854529 on Exchange ASHINGTON

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 5.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 3Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check

You do seem to be in a "black hole" for FTTC I am afraid.

Have you registered interest via the Fibre Where and When site?

Do you know where your PCP is - should be a green box with the number 2 on it - logically on the way out of the estate towards the Half Moon round. There is a PCP just down the hill from the Half Moon (with a new FTTC CAB a bit further down) but it is extremely unlikely to be yours.

BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!

Edited by greenglide (Fri 29-Jun-12 14:54:29)

(newbie) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:48:56
Print Post

ADSL speeds are so poor that I can barely watch youtube videos @320 withough stalling.I think I get 2.5mbps, max.

The checker that I used (the only one I know of) asks for just the postcode. Found a couple more but they don't offer a house number link. If you can please point me in the direction of such a search facility I can put in Number 13 and get a result!

Russell
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 29-Jun-12 14:58:48
Print Post

The checker you want is BT ADSL Checker

See the edit I have done to my previous post which gives the reults from the number of the chip shop. Not good frown

I had always assumed the Stakeford area would be on the Bedlington exchange which was enabled last year. To me the river forms a logical boundary!

(newbie) Fri 29-Jun-12 21:37:43
Print Post

I believe that if you are located past the Cherrytree heading towards Morpeth, then you're on the Bedlington Exchange and all is rosy. If, like me, you are between the Cherrytree and the river its the Ashington Exchange and all is like a big pile of sauerkraut!

Theres a guy that works for BT who goes to the same whisky club as me; I'll ask him to dig up some stuff.

Russell
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 29-Jun-12 23:57:26
Print Post

I assume that this is PCP 2 on the junction of Ashington Road and Leander Avenue against the fence PCP 2 map

No sign of any FTTC cabinet or works near it - I took a short detour on my way home.

Doesnt look good but can't imagine why they have decided not to include this PCP in the roll out - especially with the huge increase in speeds it would give and there are two FTTC CABs within a few hundred yards for the other side of the roundabout!

You need to register interest, ask your Councillor (email link from www.northumberland.gov.uk ) and consider asking BT at a high level - CEO email can be found on internet - there is a site www.ceoemail.com .

Worth seeing if you can encourage some neighbours to do the same.

(newbie) Mon 09-Jul-12 12:56:46
Print Post

Thanks for that. I did notice that this cabinet looks to be untouched. I am assuming that it will be upgraded later, hence the sept2012 revised date. I will contact the council and such like, too.

Thanks,

Russell
  Print Thread

Jump to