General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 30-Jun-12 12:13:58
Print Post

Cabinet query

[link to this post]

A friend of mine is connected to the EMGRETO exchange, cabinet P2. The December spreadsheet said his cabinet is not targeted for fibre and the BT Wholesale checker doesn't mention fibre for his line. Is there a newer spreadsheet that someone could check please?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 12:17:11
Print Post

Re: Cabinet query

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

There is an April spreadsheet that has not been leaked, but the BT Wholesale checker for his number will be reflecting what is in it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 30-Jun-12 12:23:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, it doesn't look good then. The existing cabinet looks very small so probably not worthy of upgrade frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 13:28:41
Print Post

This is one case where size really doesn't matter. It's how it's used that is important.

Look at the first one on this page. That's ours.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 30-Jun-12 15:39:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
This is one case where size really doesn't matter. It's how it's used that is important.

That looks quite large in comparison! This is his:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3184/cabmx.png

It looks a bit of a fibre-like cab but it's definitely not, the picture is a Google street view picture from March 2009 long before they started enabling the exchange.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 30-Jun-12 17:19:57
Print Post

I'm not so surethat is a BT cabinet, we have a few dotted around like that and they don't match up with PCP's.

Also the wholesale checker does not always tell you if you are destined for fibre, most of our cabinets don't give any info yet, and thats with the FTTC twins having been installed for months.

It could be this one, but no numbers on it, but it only serves 7 postcodes

Postcode Percent Lines
NN189BQ 20%
NN180QW 53%
NN189BH 60%
NN189BP 100%
NN189BW 100%
NN189BB 100%

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 30-Jun-12 17:29:20)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 17:28:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

That looks quite large in comparison! This is his:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3184/cabmx.png

It looks a bit of a fibre-like cab but it's definitely not, the picture is a Google street view picture from March 2009 long before they started enabling the exchange.
Third one down, left hand column, same page.

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Sat 30-Jun-12 18:03:32
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I'm not so surethat is a BT cabinet,

Yep, that is a normal BT cab, just a smaller version, usually to cover a new build estate or small amount of lines.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 01-Jul-12 08:47:53
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

So what about these three:

http://goo.gl/maps/ykr1
http://goo.gl/maps/ZuhE
http://goo.gl/maps/NLDR

Looking at them just now I think they are actually CCTV cabinets, the first and third you can actually follow the cables to the cameras, also whilst I'm missing a few cabinets from my map with very few lines connected the ones above are not in the correct area's.

Now if you look at the one the OP posted, there is a CCTV camera right next to it.

RobertoS is that a CCTV camera next to your picture?

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Sun 01-Jul-12 09:43:15
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Those 3 are all BT cabinets as like the OP. The first has an old manhole at the front of it, probably PO. The second you can see has a standard BT 3 manhole setup in front of it and the last one also has an old PO manhole at the front of it.

If the cameras do go back to the cab, its just for a feed to the outside world it requires. The cabinet will not be for the sole purpose of the camera smile

If the small cabs do not have their own PCP number, then they will simply be secondary connection points (SCP's) rather than primary connection points (PCP's) but the lines from the SCP still go back to the PCP. Think of a SCP just as a junction box.

I'm not conceding that its odd the cabs are close to the CCTV's however, that's probably a coincidence smile

4, 14, 23, 33, 34, 35, 50, 51, 55 in Ramsgate are currently live and RFS.

Thanks

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.

Edited by Adsl24 (Sun 01-Jul-12 09:54:45)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to