General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrDeath
(member) Sat 30-Jun-12 15:06:34
Print Post

Is this a BT Cab ??

[link to this post]

Hi i wonder if someone can tell me if this is a BT cab ? The reason i ask is all the normal looking cabs have had a FTTC cab put next to them in the town. But the big double light green cabs like these ones do not. So i was wondering if they are acctualy BT cabs or maybe they are cable ones??

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg72/scaled.php?serve...

The ones that looks like this.. http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg195/scaled.php?serv... have all had FTTC boxes put next to them. MY cab is supposed to be "P15". Does this mean that this cab in the picture with a number 15 on is mine?

_ _ _ _ _
Stage one: Signed up for pipex 1pm May 31st
Stage two: Received Email verification with order number 6 pm May 31st
Stage three: Sent old 56k modem off to pipex by special delivery June 1st 10:30 am
Stage four Received Email Telling me login details have been sent 1st class, and activation within 10 working days prior to firther line tests smile 13:30 Thur 6th June
Stage Five ACTIVATED june 11th 6 days early !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DrDeath (Sat 30-Jun-12 15:11:58)

Standard User RapsterUK
(newbie) Sat 30-Jun-12 15:46:50
Print Post

Re: Is this a BT Cab ??

[re: DrDeath] [link to this post]

I think there's something wrong with the pictures you uploaded.

When I view them they're all a little 'squiffy'...much like myself last night...
Standard User DrDeath
(member) Sat 30-Jun-12 15:48:48
Print Post

[re: RapsterUK] [link to this post]

Well they are from google street view lol.

But you get the general idea? Or are they that bad you cant make them out at all. They look "ok" on mine. They do definatly look like you are in a shroom trip or something though i admit smile

_ _ _ _ _
Stage three: Sent old 56k modem off to pipex by special delivery June 1st 10:30 am
Stage four Received Email Telling me login details have been sent 1st class, and activation within 10 working days prior to firther line tests smile 13:30 Thur 6th June

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User weesteev
(newbie) Sat 30-Jun-12 15:56:12
Print Post

No these are Virgin Media MUX and Fibre Node cabinets (side by side), they provide service to further DP cabinets or slot boxes (depending on the local architecture).

The second picture is a standard BT PCP cab.

Hope this helps

Edited by weesteev (Sat 30-Jun-12 15:58:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 16:28:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by DrDeath:
The ones that looks like this.. http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg195/scaled.php?serv... have all had FTTC boxes put next to them. MY cab is supposed to be "P15". Does this mean that this cab in the picture with a number 15 on is mine?
Yes. As long as it's in the area served by your exchange tongue ! The FTTC cabinet can be up to 50 cable metres away, possibly round a corner or across the road, or in our case up a side street across the road.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User DrDeath
(member) Sat 30-Jun-12 17:28:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by DrDeath:
Yes. As long as it's in the area served by your exchange tongue ! The FTTC cabinet can be up to 50 cable metres away, possibly round a corner or across the road, or in our case up a side street across the road.

Thats cool. Shame i am about 1.9km away from my CAB though lol. Well i guess it will be better than beiing 4km away from the exchange as i am now. I get about 7meg on ADSL2 with target snr of 3.

What do you think is the max i will get on FTTC with the cab being 1900meters away ? The checker says 17meg. Is this about right ? i was hoping for more..

_ _ _ _ _

Edited by DrDeath (Sat 30-Jun-12 17:35:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Jun-12 19:28:11
Print Post

When you got the info it was P15, did you get the speed multiplier? Apply that to your 6dB SNRM connection speed. Maybe also to your 3dB one as now, and hope for somewhere in-between.

If you didn't get a multiplier, then post your postcode.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User DrDeath
(member) Sat 30-Jun-12 19:47:35
Print Post

from memory i think the multiplier was 4.65.

I connect at about 6ish with 6db profile.

that would suggest 25meg ish. Does that seem ok or little high for being 2000meters from the cab ??

If its true then i will be very happy laugh

post code bs48 1tl

_ _ _ _ _

Edited by DrDeath (Sat 30-Jun-12 20:03:20)

Standard User worldofadsl
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Jun-12 20:12:03
Print Post

They can be up to 100m away from the PCP.
Standard User DrDeath
(member) Sat 30-Jun-12 20:17:45
Print Post

[re: worldofadsl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by worldofadsl:
They can be up to 100m away from the PCP.

Its right next to it about 5 meters.

_ _ _ _ _
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to