General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Jun-12 19:15:52
Print Post

FTTC cab sizes ....

[link to this post]

As title, is there any way of knowing what size of cab will be being installed , the painted (DLSAM) markings do they represent the actual size ?
In this area only 2 FTTC needed planing permission both are the big 288 line cabs 1600mm x 1200mm x 450mm according to the planning apps submitted

The streetwork's site only gives basic detail of size and I'm sure is generic info used by several local authorities
I ask because i read on here that they are now installing a smaller cab 128 lines, if this is the case then it seems a bit pointless as there could easily be more potential customers than what the small cab can support,and then presumably they would have to return to install another or a bigger one ?

or is the size based on how many lines the connected PCP serves?

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 30-Jun-12 19:17:29)

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Sat 30-Jun-12 19:25:01
Print Post

Re: FTTC cab sizes ....

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

It is based on the anticipated take up I assume.

Having said that I am not aware of a 288 line version of the ECI DSLAM and all DSLAMs on an exchange are supposed to be the same arent they?

In some area, allegedly, the take up has been less than expected so installing the smaller DSLAM may make sense.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Sat 30-Jun-12 20:18:26
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
In some area, allegedly, the take up has been less than expected so installing the smaller DSLAM may make sense.

They've just installed a 128 up the road from me, so what happens if/when customer 129 asks for FTTC? Do they put in another cab or just say no?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(regular) Sat 30-Jun-12 21:31:51
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GMAN98:

They've just installed a 128 up the road from me, so what happens if/when customer 129 asks for FTTC? Do they put in another cab or just say no?

They put it on pair 129. wink
Standard User simon194
(member) Sat 30-Jun-12 21:37:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by GMAN98:

Someone on another forum was told no and would have to wait until someone decided to drop fibre but if there was enough demand I guess they would put in another cab.

Openreach have only installed ECI 128's in town and there are quite a few PCP's that cover 300+ addresses although takeup hasn't been that high apparently.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jul-12 02:32:03
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

It is based on the anticipated take up I assume.

Having said that I am not aware of a 288 line version of the ECI DSLAM and all DSLAMs on an exchange are supposed to be the same arent they?

288line/port same thing as only one line per port i would think,

It's just a thought , But they may be still using the older bigger cabs, these in the plans have a big door and a small one, not the single door small cabs ,

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jul-12 08:18:53
Print Post

I guess that if further significant take up is expected, then yes, a second cabinet.

Rumour has it, that Cab 14 Twyford has bust it's recently added FTTC cab already, and that to cope with further demand a second is on it's way. TBF, these guys had no BB at all 'till this service arrived, so keen might be the best way to describe the punters.

Standard User Moradin
(member) Sun 01-Jul-12 12:25:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Installing smaller cabinets is a narrow minded idea, of a company trying to save £10 in a £1000 billion pound concept.

Eventually, everyone will be FTTC or FTTP. and further down the line, everyone will have fibre.

why? because its the future, more reliable, and eventually the services offered by fibre, will outstrip those on a sky dish, or even those coming down your TV antenaa.

I predict a future where a dish or an antenna do not exist on houses.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Moradin (Sun 01-Jul-12 12:25:33)

Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Sun 01-Jul-12 12:31:47
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

lol I don't think the difference between a 128 and 288 cab is a tenner smile
Standard User Moradin
(member) Sun 01-Jul-12 12:36:58
Print Post

for the cash they are spending, it might as well be.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Moradin (Sun 01-Jul-12 12:37:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to