General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User HEARTLY
(newbie) Sat 30-Jun-12 21:03:58
Print Post

Infinity - homehub placement / access point

[link to this post]

Hooray! I've ordered BT Infinity 2 (FTTC), to be installed on 9 July, but I need help. I’d like to ask for some help/advice/suggestions regarding the placement of the Homehub, and the possibility of an ‘access point’ solution.

(1) Is it true that it's best to install the router and modem as near to the BT master socket as possible?

I’ve been using a Netgear DG834PN ADSL router for many years, and it has never failed. For convenience, it is placed close to the main home desktop, which is about 6 meters from the BT socket. The wireless performance is excellent, serving gadgets like several laptops, PSPs, iPads, iPods, iPhones, BBs, other smartphones, etc. As I believe that 'wired is better than wireless', i LAN-wired it to several devices - PC, PS3, XBox & Samsung SmartTV. The other PCs in the house are also wired using Homeplugs…

If I place the BT Homehub close to the BT socket, and want to maintain the same configuration, I would have to do re-wires (i.e. longer Ethernet cables required) - this is not difficult, but I would rather avoid it if I can.

(2) If the Openreach modem and Homehub will be installed near the BT socket, can I connect the Homehub to the (old) Netgear router (by Ethernet cable), so that the Netgear can act like an 'access point'?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if this (2) is possible, it offers a couple of benefits, namely :
(a) I can maintain my present connections; no need for new wiring (apart from the Homehub connection to the main PC, which I assume the BT Eng’r. will do).
(b) WiFi in the house will be enhanced.

(3) For (2), if the Netgear router needs to be replaced for ‘access point’ purposes, what would be a good replacement?

If need be, I’ll replace the Netgear, if only to make (2) possible, i.e. Homehub wired to access point, thereby no new re-wires. Please suggest products that I can consider for this purpose.

(4) How bad is placing the Homehub &/or modem 6 meters, compared to 2 feet, from the BT master socket?

I want to maximize the performance of Infinity, but if the effect of placing the modem/Homehub 6 meters away is not much, then I will go for this.

(5) Do the Openreach modem and Homehub router need to be placed near each other?

I’m just curious if it’s okay for these to be apart, although I’d most probably install them next to each other anyway.

Many, many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

imitate, integrate, innovate - that’s how technology evolves
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 30-Jun-12 21:50:33
Print Post

Re: Infinity - homehub placement / access point

[re: HEARTLY] [link to this post]

The Home Hub is connected to the modem via an Ethernet cable so can be up to 100m away without impacting performance. BT has some stupid rule about it needing to be closer, which can be ignored. The modem is normally installed near the master socket but can be up to 30m away, using the Openreach supplied data extension cable, but it sounds like you have no need of this. This could, in theory, have a small effect on speed. You could reconfigure the Netgear as an access point, but unless you need extra ports or a wireless repeater, there doesn't seem to be much point.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User HEARTLY
(newbie) Sun 01-Jul-12 01:44:34
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Thanks. I will then just connect the Openreach modem near the BT main socket , and replace the Netgear with the Homehub. In the future, if I feel the need to put the HH near the main socket, I can just do it myself.

Afterwards, maybe I can use the Netgear as an access point in some parts of the house (in the loft perhaps) using Devolo homeplugs.

Is the HH3 generally a good router? If I am to replace it, which router is suitable?

I want good a really good router with Gigabit connectivity and good wifi thoroughput.

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 01-Jul-12 07:24:39
Print Post

I am by no means the world's expert on routers. The one that Plusnet supplies to its 80/20 triallists, the ZyXEL NBG4604 seems OK and has gigabit Ethernet ports but the wifi performance is nothing to write home about. I've never had a Homehub 3 so can't comment, though I notice it does have one (!) gigabit Ethernet port. I'm not sure how much use this is in practice - you could connect a gigabit switch to it, but then you could do that with any of the 100Mb ports and it would still give you gigabit performance on the parts of the LAN attached to the switch, so I'm not sure what the point is of providing only one port.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jul-12 07:55:37
Print Post

so I'm not sure what the point is of providing only one port.

Was told, ages ago, that the single gig port was added to provide connectivity between the router and a FTTP service...ie one router covers all BT Retail products .....

... but I am not sure if this wasn't just wishful thinking by someone.

Come to think of it, if you paid top dollar for the 300/30 FTTP service, had a gig link to the router, you'd be fairly peeved that it only provided 100meg from the other lan ports......

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 01-Jul-12 08:14:19
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Come to think of it, if you paid top dollar for the 300/30 FTTP service, had a gig link to the router, you'd be fairly peeved that it only provided 100meg from the other lan ports......

I suppose you could have three devices all running at 100Mbps simultaneously, but it still seems like unnecessary penny-pinching.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jul-12 08:20:20
Print Post

"unnecessary penny-pinching." and BT, sounds about right.

Standard User HEARTLY
(newbie) Sun 01-Jul-12 08:23:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

A single GB port will suffice. I willl observe HH3's performance for a month, and then decide.

I'd like to hear from anyone who can explain or who has experienced that installing the modem and/or router away from the BT main socket will or can cause performance issues. Sorry, but I want to get this 'right first time'.

… imitate, integrate, innovate - that’s how technology evolves …

Edited by HEARTLY (Sun 01-Jul-12 12:44:39)

Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Tue 03-Jul-12 14:10:00
Print Post

This last question was asked again here. Not good form to have two threads that are basically the same running.....so closing this one.

Best to keep to the same thread when asking related questions rather than have lots of threads running.

Closed

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to