General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bob_s2
(member) Mon 02-Jul-12 08:53:04
Print Post

BT FTTC/P Rollout Backlog Growing

[link to this post]

I did a quick sanity check on the Rollout using Phase 8 of the 114 exchanges on it they have to date only enabled 52 a hit rate of about 45% but that is using the ltest data the number actually achieved to the published timescales was less than 25%

Edited by Bob_s2 (Mon 02-Jul-12 08:53:56)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Jul-12 14:06:09
Print Post

Re: BT FTTC/P Rollout Backlog Growing

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
I did a quick sanity check on the Rollout using Phase 8 of the 114 exchanges on it they have to date only enabled 52 a hit rate of about 45% but that is using the ltest data the number actually achieved to the published timescales was less than 25%

I heard that many fttc/p towns now won't be getting fttp at all, what id like to know is if this is true when are they planning to finish installing fttc? surely they can't do half a town and leave it at that?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Jul-12 14:23:16
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
No surprise there then really, maybe if they had started the rollout of fibre
some 10 years ago maybe the whole country would be somewhere near having fiber based broadband by now, but the shareholders more important hence why we are in the current situation we are in,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 03-Jul-12 16:54:24
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Why not?

If Open Reach have to significantly change their plans to do FTTC instead of FTTP, possibly because FTTP is harder to install - which is obvious or because they have doubts as to how many people will take up FTTP (premium product, priced higher which is reasonable) then presumably the area has to wait for the new plans to filter through.

Personally I think that the mixed FTTP / FTTC approach was a serious mistake unless FTTP was offered alongside FTTC so we have a choice. I imagine that the huge majority of people will not wish to pay the premium for FTTP.

Given the choice between 80Mb/s FTTC and 330Mb/s FTTP I would opt for FTTC.

I suspect that slower rates of FTTP (a basic package of 50Mb/s or so?) would struggle to justify the investment although people living a long way from the PCP would obviously like it.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Jul-12 17:17:09
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Why not?

If Open Reach have to significantly change their plans to do FTTC instead of FTTP, possibly because FTTP is harder to install - which is obvious or because they have doubts as to how many people will take up FTTP (premium product, priced higher which is reasonable) then presumably the area has to wait for the new plans to filter through.

Personally I think that the mixed FTTP / FTTC approach was a serious mistake unless FTTP was offered alongside FTTC so we have a choice. I imagine that the huge majority of people will not wish to pay the premium for FTTP.

Given the choice between 80Mb/s FTTC and 330Mb/s FTTP I would opt for FTTC.

I suspect that slower rates of FTTP (a basic package of 50Mb/s or so?) would struggle to justify the investment although people living a long way from the PCP would obviously like it.
on speed alone, no i wouldn't pay more for the option of FTTP, But due to the often failing existing copper infrastructure being so easily affected by other lines in the bundle (crosstalk) and other sources of interference to the D'side pair , to avoid that sort of problem i think some may pay extra, but they should not have to it's openreach who should be forced into sorting out these lines, by raising their minimum standards for a FTTC service the current SIN spec is outdated and was only fit for dial up anyway, things need to change

Also on another note all independent isp's should be able to take the same levels of control over line profiles, options for DLM to be disabled, and controls on interleave depth,delays ect, just as there is for most adsl connections why bt have stuck with their blanketed outdated way of line management i do not know ,

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 03-Jul-12 17:23:13)

Print Thread

Jump to