General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Paul_Sussex
(newbie) Mon 02-Jul-12 13:24:37
Print Post

Exchange FTTC enabled, cabinet not (Pevensey)

[link to this post]

Afternoon,

I've been tracking the FTTC rollout for some time and was happy when the Pevensey exchange was scheduled for FTTC rollout. The exchange is now enabled and many of the cabinets which it feeds have new green friends. That is apart from mine.

I've now analysed the data from the two CSV files leaked from OR last December and of the 36 cabinets appearing only two P cabinets are not listed with a scheduled rollout date (six M cabinets are also without enablement date, but I'm not sure what M means). One of those two is the cabinet feeding my house, P31. Is it time to start panicing that this cabinet won't be FTTC enabled falling into the OR not worth it bucket?

I can think of only one possible reason why this cabinet wouldn't be upgraded as it is on a relatively modern estate, 10 years old, has a electrical sub-station within close proximity and a cabinet at the other end of the estate has been enabled (P33). The reason that I can think of is that it is the last cabinet from the exchange before another exchange, Polegate, is used. Although a mobile cell was erected two years ago, would this mean fibre will have been run to the mast, in which case cabinet P31 is only about 100 ft further?

Am I right to be concerned?

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 02-Jul-12 14:54:37
Print Post

Re: Exchange FTTC enabled, cabinet not (Pevensey)

[re: Paul_Sussex] [link to this post]

All down to numbers of properties on the cabinet versus cost of enabling it.

In most exchange areas with FTTC there are cabinets which are not enabled, so you are not the exception, but very common.

Local authority project between now and 2015 may see you enabled, or Openreach may return to the area themselves.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Mon 02-Jul-12 15:01:00
Print Post

PCP31 is not in the rollout plan at present

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jul-12 16:07:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Paul_Sussex:
... six M cabinets are also without enablement date, but I'm not sure what M means ...
I think that you will find that these are direct exchange lines rather than connected via a cabinet.
Standard User Paul_Sussex
(newbie) Mon 02-Jul-12 17:05:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Saffron,

I fear this is the case but difficult to know for sure as OR don't publish any information. My current line speed is below 4mbps so would definitely improve with FTTC, it actually means working from home is difficult putting me at a disadvantage to my colleagues. If it is a case of numbers then maybe I should consider a campaign to raise awareness on this side of the estate advising people we won't be upgraded whilst those on the other side can enjoy 80mbps.

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to