General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HEARTLY
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-12 09:06:42
Print Post

Infinity concerns - HH3, Router, Access Point, etc.

[link to this post]

I work abroad, but going home to the UK for a couple of weeks this summer. Due to growing web needs of my family, I ordered BT Infinity 2, which will be installed whilst I'm in England. My family is not technically inclined, hence I want to ensure that things will go 'right first time', - during the 2-3 weeks that I'm at home... I'd like to ask for help/advise regarding some concerns :

(1) How important is it that the Homehub 3 be installed near the BT main socket? Is placing the HH 10 meters away going to have any adverse affect?

(2) Having read about HH issues, what alternative routers (good WiFi & 3-4 Ethernet ports) should I consider as replacement?

(3) What (particular) 'access point' product/s can I install in some weak spots in the house?

(4) Kindly advice about other issues (teething or otherwise) that I should be concerned, i.e. what to check/ensure with the Eng'r. during the installation, how to do a thourough test during the first weeks, etc.

Thank you so much for your help.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-Jul-12 09:53:13
Print Post

Re: Infinity concerns - HH3, Router, Access Point, etc.

[re: HEARTLY] [link to this post]

Openreach supply a modem at the time they install the FTTC connection. They also connect the BT Home Hub which should arrive a few days beforehand.

In most installations the modem has to be very close to the Master Socket. A standard ADSL modem cable is used. The modem is not connected to an extension.

However the engineer can install a Data Extension Cable he should have with him, to allow the modem to be up to 30metres from the master. Also, if the current extension wiring is CAT5 he will usually be happy to use that instead of the data extension cable, and make suitable adjustments to the rest of the setup. That seems to be discretionary, depending on his opinion of what he finds.

The Home Hub is connected to the modem using standard ethernet cable. A short one is supplied with it but you can replace that with any length you like, up to 100m.

I can't advise on Q2.

Q3 three similarly, except any WAP can be attached to the HH. It's just a question of which is best.

Q4 - just make sure you don't start playing the the modem for 48 hours after the day it is installed. (I'll check later perhaps, or someone will correct me, that may be 24 hours after the day). The reason being the DLM at the cabinet is particularly active during that period and can react to disconnections or re-syncs by banding the line at a lower speed than it can attain.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Jul-12 09:56:07
Print Post

(2)My NetGear WNR1000 seems to be doing fine so far.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessroute...

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Tue 03-Jul-12 10:10:40
Print Post

Er, you asked most of these questions last week and got answers!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Tue 03-Jul-12 10:15:52)

Standard User knerdz
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-12 10:22:21
Print Post

Re: Infinity concerns - HH3, Router, Access Point, etc. *DELETED*

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Post deleted by knerdz
Standard User knerdz
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-12 10:30:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Post deleted by knerdz
Standard User knerdz
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-12 10:34:27
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Post deleted by knerdz
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Jul-12 10:37:33
Print Post

[re: knerdz] [link to this post]

Q4. Basically dont turn it off/on a lot or try fiddling with the wiring too much.

Just leave it to do its job.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User HEARTLY
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-12 10:44:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The Home Hub is connected to the modem using standard ethernet cable. A short one is supplied

What is the actual length of the supplied short cable?
Standard User HEARTLY
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-12 10:46:57
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I've been using a Netgear ADSL router for years, and it has been very reliable. I'm considering Linksys or Asus routers, but Netgear will be on top of my list.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to