General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gal12
(newbie) Tue 03-Jul-12 10:57:49
Print Post

FTTC Cumbernauld

[link to this post]

Hello - I've just been on to check whether I can order the superfast broadband for which my Cumbernauld exchange has recently been enabled. It seems that the date for which orders are being accepted has been put back by another three months. What was originally estimated to come by the end of March is now showing as September.

I know that this is a minor inconvenience in comparison to those areas with no sign of such a service ever coming to their area, but I'm curious to know how arbitrary these forecasts of having it up-and-running are?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Jul-12 11:09:37
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cumbernauld

[re: Gal12] [link to this post]

How arbitrary depends on what the timelines for all the other cabinets in your county/region are like.

Delays in one place, can have knock on effects, as they wait for teams to do stuff, so next team can do their bit.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Tue 03-Jul-12 13:28:25
Print Post

Gal12
The original dates are when Openreach plan to do it. This is before they start to look in detail or have put proposals to the councils involved.

The slippage is usually due to a council / landowner disagreeing with the proposals for more than a couple of Cabs.

Until Openreach have agreement on the majority of Cabs they don't bother to start in the area.

If someone is really awkward they abandon and go else where, see Kensington and Chelsea's objections to 108 Cabs!

I don't know the area, Is Cumbernauld likely to be a conservation area? (doesn't look it on Google). Could be to do with difficulty siting Cabs on narrow pavements, are all the existing ones underground with no room above ground?

It is likely to be an environmental issue to do with the estates.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Gal12
(newbie) Wed 04-Jul-12 10:34:42
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks for your replies.

Kitcat - I may be being cruel, but Cumbernauld is far from being a conservation area in my mind!

They have been all over the area for months now, installing the new green cabinets, all above ground. As far as I'm aware, from the little research I've done and understood, the only complaints are from the few streets near me that are served by one old cabinet, but without sufficient numbers of potential customers to have BT do the upgrade. It's the lack of the service that's causing upset rather than any impact of the work.

It's just a very frustrating pattern to have the guides say that they are 'accepting orders', only for the forecast dates to keep slipping back three months.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Wed 04-Jul-12 11:55:38
Print Post

Gal12

Cumbernauld does show as accepting orders, so the exchange is live. Old spreadsheets from the Openreach site that I have show that it went live between 1st March and 1st May 2012. ( I only download them occasionally).

So some cabs are live, just yours may be the only one not installed. You need to post your postcode and ask if someone can see where it is in the Rollout schedule that ISPs get.

Where are you getting the forecast dates from as they do not usually publish anything for individual Cabs.

You need to register your interest and that of all your neighbours if your cab is not in the present rollout plans. If enough register Openreach will come back and do your Cab as well. ( Basingstoke has had 3 phases of rollout now!)
Standard User Gal12
(newbie) Wed 04-Jul-12 17:32:10
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks kitcat - apologies if my understanding isn't as keen and we're talking at cross purposes?

I've been looking at the the following sites:

Openreach, BT Infinity and TalkTalk, putting my postcode (G68 9JZ) into the relevant places.

You'll see that the first indicates 'Accepting Orders' (as it has for the last few months) while the last two are the same places that keep shifting the dates that I can buy fibre by three months, just as its availability looks imminent. I've registered interest at a few places a few months ago.

Is it really the case that they will come and put the new cabinet in place (it's at the roadside next to the old one) but not 'wire it up?

If there's somewhere I can post my postcode to get more information, I'd be grateful for directions.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-Jul-12 17:50:31
Print Post

I'm in cumbernauld. I've had fibre through sky for 2 months now on 40mb down and 10mbup, its rapid fire! and downloads files at 4mb-4.5mb a second
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Jul-12 18:20:09
Print Post

It does just look like something is causing a delay for that cabinet. Are you saying the FTTC cabinet for it is in place? Supposed to be in phase 7b, with a speed multiplier of 17.72.
G689JB	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	40% 
G689JD	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	63%
G689DN	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	66%
G689ND	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	71%
G689JW	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	97%
G689JA	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	98%
G689ET	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	100%
G689JG	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	100%
G689JE	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	100%
G689NN	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	100%
G689NG	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	100%
G689JF	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	100%
G689JZ	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	100%

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Gal12
(newbie) Wed 04-Jul-12 19:32:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It does just look like something is causing a delay for that cabinet. Are you saying the FTTC cabinet for it is in place? Supposed to be in phase 7b, with a speed multiplier of 17.72.
G689JW	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	97%
G689JZ	{WSCUM}{P49}	0	100%

Thanks Roberto - Yes, the big green box was put in place a few months ago when every other vehicle was an Openreach van.

Sorry, I'm clueless about phases and multipliers - is there some significance to the '100%' assigned to my postcode? A friend lives in '9JW' and see the same September availability as me.

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I'm in cumbernauld. I've had fibre through sky for 2 months now on 40mb down and 10mbup, its rapid fire! and downloads files at 4mb-4.5mb a second

I look forward to a similar experience!
Standard User AlistairS
(regular) Thu 05-Jul-12 18:19:28
Print Post

I'm also in Cumbernauld & can't get it either yet - been putting it into talk talk & adsl24 for months now.

RobertoS

Can you check my postcode (G689NY) please to give me an indication of if & when mine might be live ?

Thanks smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to