General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jabes
(member) Thu 05-Jul-12 13:28:14
Print Post

ECI vs Huawei HG612

[link to this post]

I have an ECI DSLAM, and an ECI VDSL modem delivered by BT. Those who have followed my installation posts will know that initially my installation was incorrectly performed resulting in some fairly poor performance.

Eventually I reported this to my ISP, and BT re-wired and my speed jumped:

Initially syncing at 79428, then after a week a resync to 79996 followed by a series of resyncs in fairly quick succession to 70480 (figures courtesy of the Zen Portal, thanks guys!)

I had bought an HG612 previously from ebay to find out what was going on - but never deployed it. I have now unlocked it and installed it as a replacement for the ECI.

I am now syncing at 69636

A few questions now!

How does the Huawei perform vs an ECI - am I doing myself no favours by swapping?
Will my sync speed ever creep back up or is it only on a donward spiral?

- Zen Fibre
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 05-Jul-12 13:48:30
Print Post

Re: ECI vs Huawei HG612

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

They should both give similar results, in theory, Hoever, because there will be slight differences in the way the algorithms are encoded it is normal to find that when the two devices (DSLAM and Modem) are from the same supplier they will be a better pairing - this has happened for years on fax machines, dial up modems, ADSL and more.

It might just be that the Huawei modem works better with the ECI DSLAM but until there are a large number of instances - who knows!

If you want to be scientific - Start on Saturday at 9:00 with the ECI and run a set of speedtests, and repeat the tests at 3 hour intervals (or more often). At 9:00 on Sunday, change to the Huawei and run tests, then on Monday, switch back to ECI and so on for two weeks.

You will then have sets of data for both types and each will have each day of te week. Compare Saturday to Saturday, Sunday to Sunday and so on ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User TheManStan
(regular) Fri 06-Jul-12 12:08:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

My experience is that the Huawei sync slightly faster than the ECI to an ECI cab.

Generally I get IP profiles of 49-50 with the ECI and 51-52 with Huawei.

Cheers,

Stan

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User asbokid
(member) Fri 06-Jul-12 23:43:01
Print Post

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jabes:
How does the Huawei perform vs an ECI - am I doing myself no favours by swapping?
Will my sync speed ever creep back up or is it only on a donward spiral?

Hello Jabes,

As MHC has already said, there might be minimal gains from running an ECI modem with an ECI DSLAM, and similarly with a Huawei, but probably not the sort of gain or loss that could account for your drop in sync speed.

Swapping between the two brands of modem shouldn't cause any problems. Unless you swap every few minutes and the DSLAM chalks that us as a line fault!

Discovering the cause of the drop in your sync speed should reveal if it is permanent. Hunch says it is due to increased crosstalk as more punters take up VDSL2 from the same cabinet as your own. Blame the neighbours. If so, not much you can do about them frown

Paul (Bald-Eagle) has developed some scripts which will graphically plot the line statistics obtained from the Huawei. Those graphs should help to discover the reason for the drop in line sync.

cheers, a
  Print Thread

Jump to