General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Magicuk27
(newbie) Sat 07-Jul-12 00:38:01
Print Post

New line for FTTC install? my cabinet not upgraded yet.

[link to this post]

right ive recently been informed that the fttc cab near me doesnt actually feed my line (thanks adsl24). from the top of my place there a BT pole acrouss the road, using a map website (http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm) the distance betweek my property to the poll that does go to the new fttc cabinet is 34.321 metres. now would bt openreach install a line from top of my house across the road to the poll that connects to the fiber cabinet being so close, could i request with the bt openreach engineer that i would like it to go to that poll, obv wouldnt mind helping with holding the line up while he climbs the poll to connect it. the reason my line doesnt go that way is it goes round the back of mine along all the other maisonetts and connect to a cabinet further away but being so close i dont know if there would be a prob requesting it. id obv happily pay the fee to have a new line fitted if pos to have the line fitted to connect to the fttc across the road. any persons help appreciated.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jul-12 01:27:23
Print Post

Re: New line for FTTC install? my cabinet not upgraded yet.

[re: Magicuk27] [link to this post]

so your 34,000 meters from your cabinet?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Jul-12 01:29:28
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

3 miles = 4828 meters

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sat 07-Jul-12 06:45:51
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
so your 34,000 meters from your cabinet?

If you look thats a decimal point, not a comma. It's 34 meters and 321 millimeters wink

I think someone previously did get a separate line installed, usually when you request another line they use the other pair in your existing line.

Now whether they would do this from another cabinet I don't know. At 34 meters to the pole it is too far to have a drop wire, they'd need another pole in between, and if they were willing to do that they'd want to charge you a princely sum I expect.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Jul-12 07:03:43
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

At 34 meters to the pole it is too far to have a drop wire, they'd need another pole in between,

Are you saying pole to house is 34 meters ? If so, that's not even close to the maximum span for a dropwire.
The OP's real issue would be persuading his service provider to provide it via this route.

Standard User Magicuk27
(newbie) Sat 07-Jul-12 07:27:36
Print Post

sorry yes its 34 metres to the pole accross the road from the top of my place to the pole that connects to the fttc. it doesnt seem a huge distance but obv i dont know how far open reach can go from a pole to the prem, it doesnt look like a huge distance compares to all the other houses off it.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 07-Jul-12 10:15:43
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

As Zarjaz says, 34 metres can be done. My house to pole span is over 49 metres and crosses a major road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 07-Jul-12 10:18:31
Print Post

You may find that there is a cluse in the deeds for the building prohibiting your preferred connection. I know of maisonettes close to here where the connection of phone lines is defined and also satellite dishes are prohibited too as nothing can be fixed to front or rear elevations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Magicuk27
(newbie) Sat 07-Jul-12 11:49:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You may find that there is a cluse in the deeds for the building prohibiting your preferred connection. I know of maisonettes close to here where the connection of phone lines is defined and also satellite dishes are prohibited too as nothing can be fixed to front or rear elevations.

I check the deeds when I get in, we have satellite dishes on the front but il see if there's anything about phone lines, if there isn't is it just a case of ordering a new line with a provider and talking to the open reach guy when he/she gets here or shall I try flag one in the area and ask him about the situation?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Jul-12 14:42:41
Print Post

I reckon it's got to be specified in the instructions the engineer gets from Openreach management. So somehow it has to get onto the order. As has been said, the default action is to use another pair in your existing connection.

That's a whole different ball-game from stringing a wire across a road, and possibly needing a cherry-picker as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Print Thread

Jump to