General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tyronbarrett
(newbie) Mon 09-Jul-12 20:56:55
Print Post

Canvey Island FTTC

[link to this post]

My exchange (EACVI) is FTTC enabled as of 30/6/2012 and I note during driving around my town that most/all of the street cabinets appear to have been upgraded. However the BT Infinity order website shows my phone number being unavailable for ordering Infinity, whereas my parent's phone number (same exchange, different street cabinet) is showing as upgradable straight away.

Is there any way of finding out when an individual cabinet is going live and/or is there a typical timeframe for enabling the remaining street cabinets once the first ones have gone live?

If it helps, my postcode is SS87JE.

Thanks in advance smile
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 09-Jul-12 23:14:57
Print Post

Re: Canvey Island FTTC

[re: tyronbarrett] [link to this post]

Hi your postcode comes back with these results from the Dec 2011 spreadsheet

EACVI CANVEY ISLAND SS87JE {EACVI}{P12} 0 32% 4.18 7b Yes FTTC
EACVI CANVEY ISLAND SS87JE {EACVI}{P13} 0 68% 5.96 7b Yes FTTC

The lines on your postcode are split between cabinets 12 and 13, both where planned to have FTTC so their could be a delay on one of the cabinets, do both cabinets have their FTTC twins installed?

Cabinet 12

http://goo.gl/maps/eQVG

Cabinet 13

Niot sure on its location

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Mon 09-Jul-12 23:41:24
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Tue 10-Jul-12 08:09:54
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I would suggest checking both cabinets have their FTTC twin installed as CXXO stated above, but also listen to them to see if you can hear any fans running.

If they both have running fans then you need to check quite a few other addresses supplied by these cabinets, as there might be an error in BT's data stopping you getting FTTC.

Post back whether they have their FTTC twins installed and whether the fans are running and then we can proceed to the next stage if need be.

(newbie) Wed 11-Jul-12 10:06:53
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thank you all - I've done a bit more research:

* Both cabinets 12 & 13 now have their 'sister' cabinet installed and judging by the wear (rain, stains, cobwebs etc.) appear to have done so for several months.
* Cabinet 12 definitely has fans running - a fairly low-pitched hum could be heard from through the cooling openings in the cabinet.
* Cabinet 13 sounds silent.
* A number of houses along the same side of my postcode can receive Infinity, as shown on the BT Infinity website. Specifically the lower-numbered houses, which are northern-most, nearer cabinet 12.
* The telephone cable leading to my house comes from the southerly direction which suggests it is connected to cabinet 13 rather than 12.

I deduce from this that the lack of apparent fan noise on cabinet 13 means that it has not yet been enabled. Seems strange that it isn't running though given the length of time it has been there.

Is there any way of finding out anything further such as when my cabinet will be switched on?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Jul-12 10:11:33
Print Post

The link to the existing street cab should be obvious, but is there another one heading off, i.e. providing the mains power.

The delay in getting mains to a cabinet can be an issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 11-Jul-12 10:23:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The link to the existing street cab should be obvious, but is there another one heading off, i.e. providing the mains power.

The delay in getting mains to a cabinet can be an issue.

Picture of FTTC cabinet 13 below.

http://www.camsol.co.uk/sites/camsol.nsf/2012-07-11-...

Power somewhat difficult to check, but all pavement 'channels' appear to have been concreted over permanently and it doesn't look like any more work is due to the cabinet any time soon.
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Wed 11-Jul-12 13:07:36
Print Post

They always reinstate the pavement even if they need to dig it up again. Some of ours have been dug up four times.

(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 10:42:29
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Well it seems I may have been mistaken! Have just walked past the cabinet again and on closer listening it appears there are some fans running inside. Does this change anything?

Out of interest, the BT Infinity checker is now displaying a potential download speed (69.2Mbs/20Mbs) and estimated activation date of 30/09/2012 in response to entering my phone number. Not sure if this is just a change in the website or whether there has been a definite change in availability?
Standard User kitcat
(member) Wed 18-Jul-12 12:53:03
Print Post

Tyron

With the Fans running the cab is powered up.
With the Infinity checker showing a potential speed this indicates that ISPs have been told the Cab is nearing completion.
The Sep date is a three month period as Openreach only give dates in 3 month spreads. (The Cab is due between 1 July and 30 Sep).

Keep an eye on the checker as the cab could go live any day.

If you want Infinity, as opposed to any other ISPs product, you can register an interest and 'should' get an e-mail as soon as BTRetail are told the cab is live. I would keep checking as BTRetail are not always as quick as they could be if lots of people expres an interest. ( you could jump the queue!)

Other ISPs may run similar register schemes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to