General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 00:09:22
Print Post

Is this a sign of things to come?

[link to this post]

So I have been with BT Infinity 2 for approximately 1 month now and it seems my sync speeds are steadily dropping on a weekly basis. My day 1 stats were the following:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/icemansin/J...

But as of now my sync speed have dropped. See below:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/icemansin/J...

So do I just have to accept the fact that my sync speeds will continue to drop as more as more lines are connected in the FTTC and as a result there is likely to be more crosstalk? Or is there anything I can do? Is there a potential problem with my line? I doubt I can request someone to look into this, unless I can provide concrete proof of a problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Icemansin (Wed 11-Jul-12 00:11:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Jul-12 00:43:40
Print Post

Re: Is this a sign of things to come?

[re: Icemansin] [link to this post]

?
The sync has fallen by 474kbps?

It looks to me from the attenuation figures that you are on the borderline for the full 80Mbps. I accept the "Max" figures have dropped, but those vary minute by minute. What time of day were the two sets of graph taken? Daytime will probably have higher valus than night-time.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 11-Jul-12 06:34:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Icemansin:
So do I just have to accept the fact that my sync speeds will continue to drop as more as more lines are connected in the FTTC and as a result there is likely to be more crosstalk?
Probably. Over the nine months that I've been on an 80/20 connection my profile has dropped from ~70Mbps to ~62Mbps. I'm about 450 metres from the cabinet.
Or is there anything I can do?
Move to a house nearer the cabinet frown

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icemansin
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 08:10:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The current sync speed has fallen by a small amount, but I was referring to the max sync speeds. I'm also assuming that when the modem does eventually resync, it will match and not exceed the current maximum sync speeds, so I would then be connecting at 70Mbps (which is still good).

Those graphs have been taken late in the evening.
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 08:16:02
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

That doesn't sound too good, well I've only been on BT Infinity 2 for a month as FTTC has only just become available in my area. I'm just concerned that the maximum sync speeds have dropped by 16Mbps in just a month, which will have a negative impact on my current sync speeds.

So over time my sync speeds could actually half...
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 11-Jul-12 08:31:46
Print Post

I'm just concerned that the maximum sync speeds have dropped by 16Mbps in just a month, which will have a negative impact on my current sync speeds.
Yes, but if, say, the max had dropped from 100Mbps to 84Mbps you'd probably never notice. It's just a matter of how far you are from the cabinet and how many users are connected, neither of which you have any real control over.
That's probably a rather pessimistic outlook... as your max sync drops it effectively becomes less sensitive to increasing numbers of users because it's not using so many high frequency slots. So the first (eg) 20 users will have much more effect than the next 20 (I think!).

When (if) the cabinet gets filled to capacity that will be the slowest you'll get. I've no idea what fraction that will be of the "clean" value, but I doubt it will be as low as 50%. I hope not anyway, for my own sake- I can't afford FTTP even if it were available!

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 08:44:15
Print Post

That doesn't sound too good, well I've only been on BT Infinity 2 for a month as FTTC has only just become available in my area. I'm just concerned that the maximum sync speeds have dropped by 16Mbps in just a month, which will have a negative impact on my current sync speeds.

My max sync speed has dropped from over 84Mbps to around 71Mbps since I was connected 3 weeks ago but seems to have stabilised now. It's probabaly DLM doing it's thing.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 11-Jul-12 09:05:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Probably. Over the nine months that I've been on an 80/20 connection my profile has dropped from ~70Mbps to ~62Mbps. I'm about 450 metres from the cabinet.

Exactly the same for me at exactly the same distance, which is mildly reassuring!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Wed 11-Jul-12 09:06:01)

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Wed 11-Jul-12 09:16:03
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

And presumably the cross-talk will be between pairs in the same bundle?

There would normally be more than one bundle of pairs coming out of the PCP going in different directions.

One of the factors as well as distance from the CAB will be the number of houses in the street - if it is a short close off a main street the number of pairs coming in can be quite small.

I live in a close with 20 houses and no scope to feed other premises from this. The PCP is just outside the entrance and the coverage radiates out from this. Cable run will be less than 100 metres, splits into two soon after the entrance so I would hope that only 10 pairs or so will serve our part of the street - been surveying BT manholes!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 09:37:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
When (if) the cabinet gets filled to capacity that will be the slowest you'll get. I've no idea what fraction that will be of the "clean" value, but I doubt it will be as low as 50%. I hope not anyway, for my own sake- I can't afford FTTP even if it were available!

How much will FTTP on demand cost?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to