General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 12:04:47
Print Post

can someone interpret this FTTC/P info?

[link to this post]

Cabinet Probability Uplift Phase Status Type
P46 2% 31.09 8a Part of deployment FTTC (Fiber to the Cabinet)
P39 97% 13.84 8b Part of deployment FTTP (Fiber to the Premises)

I get this info from the http://fttc-check.alc.im website which I believe gets its results from the december spreadsheet. Assuming I am on P39, does this mean I can order FTTP now or at some time in the near future?

In theory, theory and practice are identical.....in practice they aren't!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Jul-12 12:07:40
Print Post

Re: can someone interpret this FTTC/P info?

[re: Myth] [link to this post]

At some time in the future.

The place to check for "now" is the BT Wholesale Checker.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 11-Jul-12 12:09:10
Print Post

Your postcode is split between 2 cabinets, of which 2% on cab 46 was planned to have FTTC installed in phase 8a which is about now, does vary across the country as the rollout procedes at best speed.

97% of the lines on your postcode are connected to cab 39 and was planned to have FTTP installed as of December 2011- the missing 1 % is a rounding error.

As the FTTP is phase 8b its very unlikely that work would have started yet- you will see work on poles and in ducts, its going to be something to order in the future when its eventually done.

With FTTP the rollout has been considerably slower then FTTC, with a halt to alot of the work, many towns are half FTTC/FTTP with only the FTTC half enabled.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Wed 11-Jul-12 14:37:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-Jul-12 12:19:30
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

smile
The way you've worded that could imply FTTP should have been available by the end of Dec 2011. You and I both know that isn't what you meant, but to newcomers to the subject it could be confusing.

Later on you do say phase 8b is unlikely to have started, which does clear it up a bit smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 13:03:45
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

it just seems odd that they want to do FTTP. Surely to do FTTP they need to do FTTC first?

All the phone cables are underground here, the area having been built in the 70s. The exchange is a few miles away (atten. in the 50s (dB))

I can't imagine they would lay single fibres from the exchange to each premises, so they would likely lay fibre to some junction point (ie a cabinet) and then blow fibre from there, but this means it would be cheaper and easier to just do the FTTC wouldn't it?

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Wed 11-Jul-12 13:12:09
Print Post

They dont do FTTC to provide FTTP, and they dont provide a fibre from exchange to each property. FTTP used GPON which basically splits a single fibre to many separate fibres which connect to each property connected. All the FTTP plant is underground unless the final connection is overhead and its all passive. So no power issues between exchange and end user premises.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Wed 11-Jul-12 13:12:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Myth:
it just seems odd that they want to do FTTP. Surely to do FTTP they need to do FTTC first?

All the phone cables are underground here, the area having been built in the 70s. The exchange is a few miles away (atten. in the 50s (dB))

I can't imagine they would lay single fibres from the exchange to each premises, so they would likely lay fibre to some junction point (ie a cabinet) and then blow fibre from there, but this means it would be cheaper and easier to just do the FTTC wouldn't it?

FTTP doesnt use a dedicated fibre for each house to the exchange!

A passive spliter (can't remember its correct name) takes a fibre from the exchange and splits that into a fibre for each house - split is 16 or 32 premises I think.

This usually uses poles or underground chambers so an area built in the seventies isnt a problem - especially if the ducts are in reasonable condition.

The hard bit is from the ducts to the individual premises which, generally, isnt far.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 13:20:23
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

interesting. Some of my town had issues with the original adsl rollout because of PON networks, though my area didnt suffer from this.

However, you don't say where this single fibre originates. I assume it has to terminate at the exchange which means they have to run it all the way from the exchange to my area which is a route that will take it past many cabinets. It seems silly to suggest they would make new underground pathways for this fibre when they already have these pathways leading to the cabinets close to my house.

What am I missing?

Standard User Myth
(member) Wed 11-Jul-12 13:27:58
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I can fully see the reason for using GPON and FTTP for those connected directly to the exchange, my area is one of the furthest from the exchange and connects via cabinets.

I cannot see any way BT will get a fibre from the exchange to my area unless they send it up the ducts that lead to the cabinets.

So, now they have a fibre at the cabinet, why would they want to implement FTTP from this point is the thing I can't understand

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Wed 11-Jul-12 13:46:45
Print Post

FTTP uses existing duct routes so will in most cases pass cabinets. Its an overlay to the existing copper network. Duct blockages aside, there should be little network build other than the final drop.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to