General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rab2
(newbie) Sat 14-Jul-12 18:20:16
Print Post

Huawei HG612 Modem Traffic Forwarding.

[link to this post]

I've successfully unlocked my modem and am now using the modem in the Huawei to connect to my isp using the routed pppoe wan option.

Previously I had my router forward any incoming traffic to my nas drive so I could access it remotely.
Does anyone know if I can forward all incoming traffic from the Huwaei to my router so I can continue to do this?

Thanks in advance.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 14-Jul-12 18:57:32
Print Post

Re: Huawei HG612 Modem Traffic Forwarding.

[re: Rab2] [link to this post]

so your PC is now the PPPoE client rather than a router ? you'll have to set up routing to the NAS with the PC. Hope it has a good firewall.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Rab2
(newbie) Sat 14-Jul-12 19:01:40
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

No, the Huwaei modem is the pppoe client.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andew
(member) Sat 14-Jul-12 19:05:40
Print Post

Not 100% sure, but in the routers admin page, go to advanced, nat, dmz, set the NAS's ip and enable dmz. That should do it.

Andrew
Standard User madnutter56
(newbie) Sat 14-Jul-12 21:01:40
Print Post

I think what you are looking for (port forwarding) can be found under the NAT section of the HG612, and then clicking on Port Mapping at the top.

Then you'll just need to forward the ports your NAS needs

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4010023/ShareX/2012-07/2012...

Edited by madnutter56 (Sat 14-Jul-12 21:03:00)

Standard User Rab2
(newbie) Sat 14-Jul-12 22:40:18
Print Post

[re: andew] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. That did the trick smile
Standard User Ixel
(learned) Sat 14-Jul-12 22:58:52
Print Post

I tried this earlier today, changing from bridged to routed mode, and I'd like to share my experience.

Whether it was something I did in error (though I doubt), I found the HG612 in routed mode struggled to download at more than 62Mbps during a speedtest, with the CPU load hitting the roof on the HG612. I've since gone back to using it in bridged mode with the Business Hub 3.

So the moral of the story for my experience is that if you have a connection synced at greater than 55-60Mbps downstream then you might hit the problem I had, assuming it wasn't something I configured incorrectly (though I'm pretty certain everything was fine, I even disabled unnecessary features such as the firewall and QoS in an attempt to reduce the CPU load on the HG612 while downloading). My HG612 works no problems when in bridged mode with another router such as the Business Hub 3.
Standard User Rab2
(newbie) Sat 14-Jul-12 23:31:08
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

That's interesting.. I'm still on 40/10 so hadn't noticed any slow downloading but no doubt I will upgrade sooner rather than later to 80/20.

The reason for me having to do this is because for some reason I have problems with my employers vpn. Remote desktop connection's were extremely flakey and SVN just didn't work at all.. I think it's something to do with the way pppoe packets are formed with 8 extra bytes but could never get to the bottom of it.. Tried several different routers but this was the only way I could get things to work. Interestingly several other folk at work have no problems but they are with BT using homehubs (i'm on adsl24 using a dlink dir615 with ddwrt)
Standard User Ixel
(learned) Sat 14-Jul-12 23:54:41
Print Post

I see.

Well if you are likely to encounter the problem I had it won't be until you get 80/20 and assuming your line can support more than 60Mbps downstream.

If you're curious you could monitor your CPU load on the router by logging onto it as normal through putty (or similar tool) and typing the command 'top' (without quotes). Top is like a task manager basically, useful for displaying what processes are doing and general resource usage, it will update the output on the display every few seconds.

In bridged mode I hardly see any CPU usage despite how much I download or upload. In routed mode, as stated above, CPU usage hits the roof and can't get much more than 62Mbps (with noticeable ping spiking at the time as well).
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Sun 15-Jul-12 21:15:09
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

We've tested using routed PPP instead of bridged and its fine at 80Mbit/s, get around 75 smile

James

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to