General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kunjar
(newbie) Sun 15-Jul-12 12:36:11
Print Post

BT & Sky Fibre service (down/up) speeds

[link to this post]

Hello,

I would like to know from those of you who have either BT Infinity or Sky Fibre installed what the P2P speeds are like during various times of the day, including both download and upload, if possible? Also are websites such as BBC iPlayer, 4OD and youtube constant most of the time in terms of being able to stream smooth video? Obviously network congestion is a limiting factor but speaking generally.

Also how has your service been with either or both of the companies?

I have been offered either a package from Sky for £28 p/m (loyal cust) for Line Rental, Unlimited Calls (International calls included) and 40/10 fibre for 12 months OR a service from BT including Line Rental, Anytime calls, International Freedom, Infinity (80/20) for £38 p/m (12 months also).

As you can tell, the BT offering is £10 greater than Sky but double the speed. If i require 80/20 i can always pay an additional £10 to Sky for their Fibre Pro package.

So far i have sided with the Sky's offering of £28 p/m and should think that 40/10 fibre will meet the bandwidth demands for my household. Im also aware that Sky Line Rental will increase from Sept 1st to 14.50 p/m although not applicable to existing customers.

I know that this thread was initiated to enquire about the internet service but any comments pertaining to the other elements such as calls and line rental are more than welcome.

Kind Regards.
Standard User paul1360
(member) Sun 15-Jul-12 13:11:39
Print Post

Re: BT & Sky Fibre service (down/up) speeds

[re: kunjar] [link to this post]

If you are only looking at FTTC for use with Torrent/P2P downloads then save your, as ISP's in the uk are blocking them after a court order. Before that I used to D/L during the day and not bother during the evening or night waste of time to slow. I'm on 80/20Mb from BT. Have stopped now as I said because most sites are blocked. Hope this helps you
iechyd da

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 13:20:39
Print Post

[re: paul1360] [link to this post]

ISP's are blocking access to individual websites hosting the torrent file itself rather than blocking torrent data flowing, so there's plenty of life left in P2P.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre due June 2012!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sun 15-Jul-12 13:56:57
Print Post

They blocked like 1 site? out of hundreds

Anyways skys still having problems with throughput.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
40/10

"A Half Speed Customer"
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User kunjar
(newbie) Sun 15-Jul-12 14:41:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by paul1360:
If you are only looking at FTTC for use with Torrent/P2P downloads then save your, as ISP's in the uk are blocking them after a court order. Before that I used to D/L during the day and not bother during the evening or night waste of time to slow. I'm on 80/20Mb from BT. Have stopped now as I said because most sites are blocked. Hope this helps you
iechyd da

Yes i will be using torrents often and depending on throttling may sign up for BTGuard, perhaps try it out for a month or so. Did you get full speed both down and up when you used to torrent during the day?

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
ISP's are blocking access to individual websites hosting the torrent file itself rather than blocking torrent data flowing, so there's plenty of life left in P2P.

Indeed, of course there are many ways around this however im mainly concerned about BT's Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) and whether or not Sky implement this also. From what i hear Sky broadband is truly unlimited not shaped or throttled.

In reply to a post by epyon:
They blocked like 1 site? out of hundreds

From your signature i can see that you are attaining half speed, i have been closely following the thread on the official Sky website and also on skyuser. It seems that the issue is largely still unresolved although according to the support assistants it is not a widespread problem. Then again i suppose this depends on how many are able to notice the decreased bandwidth and thus report the issue in the first place. It doesn't inspire the greatest of confidence when looking to switch over to another provider hence i am still considering BT!

If i may ask, what are you speeds like when torrenting, both download and upload if you have done so? Also with regards to uploading to various file hosters such as rapidshare, mediafire etc is the rate constant?

Kind Regards.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Jul-12 15:24:33
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:

Not *all* ISPs are doing this...only the big 5 - and it is not all torrent hosting sites anyway. Mine certainly is not.
DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sun 15-Jul-12 15:25:10)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 15-Jul-12 16:02:10
Print Post

I have the sky 80mbps down and 20 mbps up.

24/7 speeds never slows down. Torrents peer to peer etc is all going at full whack all day everyday.

The sky routers also quite good. Gets good wifi and good throughput so don't let that put you off!
I had the 40mbps product for a while and it was the same. Just as good
Standard User Ixel
(learned) Sun 15-Jul-12 16:12:19
Print Post

Never noticed torrent throttling on my BT Infinity connection, no matter what time of day.

Connection estimated 58/19, receiving roughly 77/20. I run regular speed tests and have not noticed a considerable dip in speeds, a regular average of 72-74Mbps downstream and 19-20Mbps upstream (multiple threads bear in mind, using JDAST).

Other note I need to mention is that I'm on BT Business Infinity Option 2, not the residential one. I wanted static IP's and UK support. There are other business benefits but the business version does cost more for what it is.
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Sun 15-Jul-12 16:49:53
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

BT don't throttle except p2p which their t&cs say they might throttle down to some ridiculously low level except at offpeak times. I don't use p2p much, and the only p2p I have done has appeared not to be throttled. I have seen other comments that they are not throttling at the moment, but if I were a regular p2p user I wouldn't rely on it staying that way. Streaming has been fine, except for a short period when something went silly with my line which would have probably been the same if it had been Sky.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Sun 15-Jul-12 16:50:17)

Standard User simon194
(member) Sun 15-Jul-12 17:35:08
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:

They aren't in my area, I'm getting a reasonable 37 Mbps down/8 Mbps up on the 40/10 product.

Edit: Post makes more sense now. smile

Edited by simon194 (Sun 15-Jul-12 21:54:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to