General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tristan_collins
(newbie) Sun 15-Jul-12 13:25:36
Print Post

Rural FTTC issue - help interpret xdslcmd stats

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I'm looking to get some help diagnosing an issue I'm having with my BT Infinity service.

The issue:

- Our house is in the middle of nowhere exchange-speaking, so I am well aware we will never get the full speed (I had hoped to get >2 mbps download, however!)
- We were initially given an estimate of 'up to 20.4 mbps' which was revised to 5 mbps when the install was completed.
- We are now getting ~1.4 mbps on a good day, 0.7 mbps on a bad...

I've uploaded some graphs from xdslcmd over a few days here http://www.tristancollins.me/fttc/

Is my line just too bad?
Is there anything I can do?
Who would be best to contact at BT about this and how?
Will BT re-lay lines if it can be shown the connection is so bad?

I've also sought help here (http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Rural-speed-issue-help-interpreting-xdslcmd-stats/m-p/573567/highlight/false#M54226) and here (http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11424.0.html)

Thanks,

Tristan
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-12 13:54:01
Print Post

Re: Rural FTTC issue - help interpret xdslcmd stats

[re: tristan_collins] [link to this post]

Do you know how far your cabinet is, might help others help you?

If you post your postcode or PM me it I can tell you your cabinet number and quite possibly find it as well.

(newbie) Sun 15-Jul-12 14:30:34
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I think it's P1 on NIME (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NIME) according to the tool I used.

I have just spoken to a very helpful person at BT (responding to a tweet) who has described it as 'the worst connection he has ever seen'. It has been raised to BT Wholesale so I guess there's not much help I can ask for!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-12 15:58:45
Print Post

I think this is your cabinet then, checking 92 BT22 2HW on the BT wholesale checker gives a speed of 80Mbps, so that address has got to be right on top of the cabinet.

Perhaps you can check on Goolge and see how far you are by road from that address, forum members could then estimate what speed you should expect.

Good luck with BT Wholesale sorting it out.

Edit: Here's a map of postcodes supplied by that cabinet

http://batchgeo.com/map/1c71805bddbfaaed151f61579cdc...

Edit: Just spotted your PM, your on one of two cabinets, 16% of lines to your postcode are on exchange Grey Abbey (NIGY), the remaining 84% are on Nime P1

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 15-Jul-12 16:15:04)

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-12 16:37:08
Print Post

This is NIGY P2, simple way to find out if your on P1 (NIME) or P2 (NIGY) in this case would be to enter your phone number into the BT Wholesale checker, it will then tell you which exchange your on, and therefore you will know which cabinet.

I think your on P1, as thats 2.9km by road, (the other cabinet is over 4km away) and I think there lies your problem at nearly 3000 meters it's a big ask for FTTC, line route may be shorter as it may cross fields, rather than follow the road.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 15-Jul-12 16:53:19)

(newbie) Sun 15-Jul-12 19:15:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
This is NIGY P2, simple way to find out if your on P1 (NIME) or P2 (NIGY) in this case would be to enter your phone number into the BT Wholesale checker, it will then tell you which exchange your on, and therefore you will know which cabinet.

I think your on P1, as thats 2.9km by road, (the other cabinet is over 4km away) and I think there lies your problem at nearly 3000 meters it's a big ask for FTTC, line route may be shorter as it may cross fields, rather than follow the road.

Thanks so much. Yep, looks like P1. About 2.5km by road using our actual location. However, I'm not sure that's the route the cable actually takes... From memory it may take a longer route to the cabinet (left out of the house rather than the shorter right).

I've cross-posted somewhat to Kitz - http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11424.0.html

Getting a similar response - purely a distance thing. I am wondering what obligation BT has to fix this. Will they reroute our connection to take a shorter route for instance? Or will they just switch it off as it isn't hitting a minimum service standard?

Thanks again
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sun 15-Jul-12 20:41:01
Print Post

Unfortunately from my limited understanding/conclusions they only have an obligation to supply a working phone line, and not broadband, they may well fix faults but I doubt they'll reroute cables (unless your willing to pay of course).

The fact that your line gets worse after rain would suggest a problem somewhere on it, I see that Asbokid has posted in your thread, in case your not aware he produced the hacked firmware for the HG612.

You may want to contact Bald_Eagle1 on these forums (or Kitz), he has had a long running problem with BT regarding line problems, and is the reason the logging scripts were developed for Windows, he may be able to give some advice.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Jul-12 22:13:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by tristan_collins:
Or will they just switch it off as it isn't hitting a minimum service standard?
There is that danger, so be careful how hard you press.

The obligation is to provide 28kps dialup frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 15-Jul-12 22:14:01)

Print Thread

Jump to