General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Jul-12 17:46:51
Print Post

Milton Keynes NGA Nearly Done?

[link to this post]

Hi,

It appears that the work for Phase 8a in Milton Keynes (Bradwell Abbey Exchange) is now complete. That's 10,000+ FTTC. Phase 8B is FTTP for a further 10,000+ works have been expanded to include other areas.

1x FTTC mini DSLAM in Great Linford is still pending but should be online soon.

NGA (FTTC) for Wolverton, Stony Stratford, Newport Pagnell and Bletchley should be complete - where have they missed?

Work for FTTC/P on Woburn Sands has started.

The other Exchanges in the area are regarded are rural so........

Are in one of these area's? Do you want NGA?

Regards,

Gareth
Standard User bilbocroft
(newbie) Sat 18-Aug-12 09:39:31
Print Post

Re: Milton Keynes NGA Nearly Done?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I am in Bradwell Milton Keynes served by the Wolverton Exchange.

No FTTC as yet.

Predicted dates have been pushed back 3 times now.

Does anyone have any information about the delay or how to find out what's happening?
Standard User VictorMeldrew
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 12:44:01
Print Post

[re: bilbocroft] [link to this post]

what % of milton keynes will be fttp ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User biffo1963
(newbie) Sat 18-Aug-12 18:09:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by bilbocroft:
I am in Bradwell Milton Keynes served by the Wolverton Exchange.

No FTTC as yet.

Predicted dates have been pushed back 3 times now.

Does anyone have any information about the delay or how to find out what's happening?

Bilbocroft,

Where in Bradwell are you ? I'm in Bradwell and I've had FTTC since June

JHB
Standard User bilbocroft
(newbie) Sat 18-Aug-12 21:43:29
Print Post

[re: biffo1963] [link to this post]

Maynard Close backing on to the Loughton Rd.
Standard User biffo1963
(newbie) Sun 19-Aug-12 11:58:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by bilbocroft:
Maynard Close backing on to the Loughton Rd.

Ah, right. So presumably when you put your phone number into the BT ADSL checker you get a date of 30th September and speed estimates of 45 down and 8 up ( I have a friend in Maynard Close and that's what it tells him.)

Anyway I'll tell you what I know and you can work from there. Last September/October two new FTTC cabinets were installed - one outside no. 36 Walgrave Drive which connects to the old telephone cabinet on the opposite side of the road, and the other at the junction of Walgrave Drive and Quinton Drive ( no idea where the telephone cabinet is for that one, haven't seen it yet ! )

There they both sat for the winter without being activated. The Walgrave Drive cabinet was finally powered up and commissioned at the end of May; however the other one was not. When it was originally installed, BT Openreach's contractors in their infinite wisdom installed it on the Redway and someone duly objected to the placement ( our dear local councillors are the prime suspects for this ) thus obliging Openreach to move it.

Around three weeks ago a further gang of contractors appeared and moved the cabinet onto the grass verge adjacent to the Redway, dug a trench to re-route whatever cables had been laid, and made good the hole in the Redway. Last week BT Openreach came along and I saw an engineer actually pulling cables through and connecting them into the newly-repositioned FTTC cabinet.

From all of this it LOOKS as though the FTTC service via that cabinet, which I assume is the one which will serve your part of the estate, will be available any day now - you MAY not even have to wait until the end of September. Having said that I'm not an Openreach engineer so I don't know what work if any remains to be done.

Can I suggest that you keep an eye on the BT ADSL checker; as soon as you are able to order, the estimated date will disappear and the checker will simply say that FTTC is available to you. This is likely to happen a week or two before you get the letter from BT telling you that it's now available - that's what happened in Walgrave Drive, although I held off for a few weeks so that someone else could go first, I don't like trailblazing smile

Alternatively, if you happen to be driving past and see an Openreach engineer working on the cabinet you could always stop and ask him......

Cheers,

John

JHB
Standard User Emlynw
(newbie) Tue 21-Aug-12 12:24:28
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I live in Bradville, just off Grafton Street. I'm on Wolverton exchange which is enabled for FTTC, I'm 1.42km from the exchange according to Samknows.com. I get around 1mbps (usually a little less). BT's checker says 'Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.'
Well I've registered my interest a number of times but never hear anything.
It's very frustrating when slow speeds are presented as a rural problem (ONLY 2mbps!)
Any thoughts from anyone?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Aug-12 12:26:35
Print Post

[re: Emlynw] [link to this post]

What is your line attenuation, if under 60dB,then you need to resolve internal wiring as this may be holding back your speeds.

A possibility is your line is an exchange only, i.e. no cabinet, and thus missing out on the commercial roll-out and will rely on the BDUK projects (which are not just a rural thing)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Emlynw
(newbie) Tue 21-Aug-12 12:41:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew - I'll check when I get home.
Standard User Toonshorty
(newbie) Tue 21-Aug-12 12:56:00
Print Post

[re: Emlynw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Emlynw:
I live in Bradville, just off Grafton Street. I'm on Wolverton exchange which is enabled for FTTC, I'm 1.42km from the exchange according to Samknows.com. I get around 1mbps (usually a little less). BT's checker says 'Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.'
Well I've registered my interest a number of times but never hear anything.
It's very frustrating when slow speeds are presented as a rural problem (ONLY 2mbps!)
Any thoughts from anyone?

Your line must loop off before reaching you then.

At 1.42km you should get much better speeds then that.

I'm 2.6km (straight line) and 3.5km (actual length) from the exchange and get 9Mbps on ADSL2+ and 6-7Mbps on ADSL Max.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to