General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bob_s2
(member) Tue 17-Jul-12 08:04:17
Print Post

FTTC Progress Against Schedule

[link to this post]

Currently the BT rolloiut is running heavilly behind schedule. If we take the lastest schedule there are a 172 exchanges listed as due for completion by the 30th September. Assuming 79 working days in that quarter it means they have to average 2.2 exchanges a day. To date they have averaged 0.6.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jul-12 09:00:38
Print Post

Re: FTTC Progress Against Schedule

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
Currently the BT rolloiut is running heavilly behind schedule. If we take the lastest schedule there are a 172 exchanges listed as due for completion by the 30th September. Assuming 79 working days in that quarter it means they have to average 2.2 exchanges a day. To date they have averaged 0.6.
You think you could do better? Sheesh. BT didn't have to start a roll-out at all. The dates all say they are estimates. It's their timetable - no one has told them when it has to be ready.

Give them a break!

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Moradin
(member) Tue 17-Jul-12 11:24:24
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

The reason people get dissapointed is because they state a date, and they rarely stick to it.

its mainly the idiot working out an estimated go live date that is to blame.. they would actually be better saying nothing at all.

It is certainly true that they are 3-5 months behind where they had 'planned' to be at this point.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jul-12 11:42:45
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Moradin:
they would actually be better saying nothing at all.

And then plenty of people would complain about that too.

Oliver.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jul-12 11:47:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Moradin:
It is certainly true that they are 3-5 months behind where they had 'planned' to be at this point.
True but I don't see as something to crow or moan about. The project has just turned out to be more difficult than they'd hoped. That's common in every endeavour but when you're talking about a project this large or this complicated and involving local authorities it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Bob_s2
(member) Tue 17-Jul-12 16:49:50
Print Post

If you look at what they are actually achieving is about 35% of what they have listed and this seems to have been fairly consistant throughout the rollout. The current most of the September ones will go into Q4 and some into Q1 2013. The December ones are likely to go into Q2/Q3 2013.and the 2013 ones will go into Q4 2013 & Q1 2014
Standard User Bob_s2
(member) Tue 17-Jul-12 17:06:20
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

But as they now have plenty of experience as to what is being achieved they ought to update the schedule to be closer to what they are actually achieving instead of conmstantly putting out dates they know they will not meet.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jul-12 17:12:51
Print Post

Come on then show me the figures to support this 35%?

If its true that when BT say close to 40% of UK households can get it, but really only 14% of UK households then that makes for a massive news story due to misleading their shareholders.

The take-up would be very impressive if they have the 0.5m + homes from just covering around 3.6 million homes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bob_s2
(member) Tue 17-Jul-12 23:04:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is refering to the rollout schedule and not what is already installed

I would say though that a simple sanity check would indicate far less than 40% of households can currently get FTTC.BT tend to base the figures on enabled exchanges rather than enabled cabinets and as BT keep it a closely guarded secret as to how many cabinets are enabled on each exchange it can only be based on estimates based on peoples experiences of trying to get FTTC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 17-Jul-12 23:32:14
Print Post

Hi,

Sorry you are wrong. In the area where i live BT have delivered what they said they would pretty much when they said they would.

However, early OFCOM figures did suggest my area had 90% coverage but OFCOM have admitted this was incorrect and even MP's where not happy about it!

My town has areas indicated as September 2012 and 2013. Some of the areas indicated as 2013 have civil engineering works under way and ducting and fibre is going into the areas indicated as September.

Its looking like 10,000-15,000 will be done between now and October - I'm assuming some slippage.

Regards,

Gareth
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to