General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cammyuk81
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 15:38:22
Print Post

Fighting BT Openreach

[link to this post]

Dear All,

We are in the midst of what I can only describe as a ongoing problem with BT Openreach to rollout fibre to our area.

We are a group of longterm 1,500 who would like fibre. We have 8 cabinets, one which was planned and is due to go live at the end of this quarter, 4 more which since BT changed the financial rules will go live but not planned and 3 which we may have to fund.

At the minute BT Openreach refuse to move as they say BDUK money should pay for this however the council say that BT should do this.

We already have a local MP involved and everyone is getting as frustrated as I am,

Any thoughts in how to push this along as we seem to be caught in the controversy of politics.
Standard User New_Londoner
(member) Wed 18-Jul-12 15:44:26
Print Post

Re: Fighting BT Openreach

[re: cammyuk81] [link to this post]

The BDUK money is meant to fund areas that are otherwise "uneconomic". Assuming you're referring to the three cabinets not on Openreach's list (?), these seem to fit squarely into the BDUK category so should be included in the county council's broadband plan.

So I suggest you push the county on this, get your MP to do so too. If they wont include the area then get them to explain why not, after all they work for you, not the other way round.

---

All opinions expressed by me are my own

BT Infinity
Speedtest result (excluding 2Mbps for BT Vision)
Standard User cammyuk81
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 15:51:29
Print Post

[re: New_Londoner] [link to this post]

The cabinets are uneconomical to turn on due to the % of uptake. The problem we have is the Council have told us already that due to the data BT provided it said we would be getting it however BT have updated the details and said this is not the case. Thankfully our Mp and councillors for the area have been rather vocal in telling BT how next to useless they are at the moment. Just wondered if anyone else is stuck in this trap.

It would appear we may be the first area that is staging a fight due to certain comments from BT though I just wonder if they are stirring the pot!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cammyuk81
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 15:52:55
Print Post

As just as a sub note there isn't enough money in the pot to do all of our area We live in yorkshire so its a shared bid therefore they admit they will miss 2% of the area who will get 2mb or less!
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Wed 18-Jul-12 16:14:33
Print Post

Hi -

We had the same issue - our cab not on rollout at all.

With little effort and the help of our MP, had the cab listed for upgrade in 3 months and installed 6 months later. The rest of the estate that was scheduled for FTTC is still waiting.

Really was not that hard at all - read about it here:

http://www.coton-park-broadband.co.uk/home/latest-ne...

PS We now have an 80/20 PlusNet connection with 5mS Ping and 75/18Mb actual speed.

PPS - We only have 110 properties on our cabinet...

Edited by TechGuyUK (Wed 18-Jul-12 16:15:26)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 18-Jul-12 16:16:43
Print Post

Why should BT undertake a project that is uneconomic?

They have on obligation to the shareholders to ensure that any investment (of the shareholders money) is undertaken in such a way there is a return on investment within a reasonable time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User cammyuk81
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 16:29:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

As horrible as it sounds i know that Bt should not invest in an uneconomical cabinet thats why we want to start generating demand and getting money off people its just they won't give us the figures with this back and forth between the two groups!

Techguy thats brilliant I'll pass this onto our MP and round the list once I've read into it more a bit later tonight.

As a reference you can read what we are struggling with here!

http://www.fibreformiddleton.org.uk/
Standard User D_an_W
(committed) Wed 18-Jul-12 22:25:40
Print Post

A friend of mine lives in LS10 4TG and suffers badly with poor speeds (~1Mb if lucky), I just pointed him towards your website.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 18-Jul-12 22:53:42
Print Post

UnfortUnately a cab would probably get stolen in Middleton lol.
I'm in rothwell and I've got 80/20 smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 19-Jul-12 06:52:31
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

coton park was slightly different as it was reassesed due to proposed eventual new build increasing the commerciallity of cab and therefore met commercial criterai based on that information and was deployed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to