General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Aconite
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-12 13:47:09
Print Post

Fibre vs. DSL

[link to this post]

Hi,

This may be a very basic question.
I currently get broadband "up to 20mb" from Sky. My speed is typically 2-3 MB.
I'm in a rural area in Hampshire, probably just over a mile from the exchange.

I am considering switching to either BT Infinity or Sky Fibre unlimited.
If I check the BT website it quotes:
Standard Broadband 1-3mb expected speed
Infinity: Up to 16 mb.

I've tried asking BT multiple times what the range is on Infinity. i.e. is it 1-16 MB or 12-16mb? Pretty sure with the distance from the exchange that I wont be hitting 16 consistently but I want to have some idea of what to expect.

Sky's unlimited fibre quotes 16.3-16.6 which I'm sure also cant be an accurate guide to the range.

Basically I just want to get a feel for whether it will actually be any faster.
If they can quote a range for standard I am struggling to understand why they cant quote a range for the infinity.

My worry is that the cost is substantially higher, and if I still only get 3mb then there is no point at all.

Any advice welcomed.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jul-12 13:59:59
Print Post

Re: Fibre vs. DSL

[re: Aconite] [link to this post]

Neither of those two FTTC products will be installed unless the connection speed exceeds 15Mbps when the engineer tests it. (Real world download speed should be well over 14Mbps).

If you post or PM your postcode we can give you more specific information, and also tell you which cabinet you are on. That way you can probably find it and tell us how far away it is (in cable length) from you, guessing which way that cable goes.

Does this checker accept your phone number? If so, please copy and paste what that says. If it doesn't, use your address instead. Not just the postcode.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 19-Jul-12 14:01:40)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Jul-12 14:00:18
Print Post

The figures you are trying to assess are estimates based on an estimate of the distance from your home to the street cabinet.

It could be faster, a great many do go faster than the estimator, but some go slower. Generally the estimates are more pessismistic than they were for ADSL services.

Even a jump from 2 or 3 Mbps to 8 Mbps would open up a whole new world of HD video for you.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 19-Jul-12 15:24:24
Print Post

Your post is a little confusing in teh way you have incorrectly and correctly referred to line speeds -r data rates.

M - Mega

m - milli

B - Bytes

b - bits

Data rates (line speeds) are measured in Mega bits per second - Mbps, Mb/s or Mbs-1

Data volumes/file sizes are measured in MB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Thu 19-Jul-12 15:39:55
Print Post

Don't fall for the misleading advertising. Both FTTC products still use VDSL2 technology.
Standard User Aconite
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-12 11:55:00
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Thanks for the comments so far.
I've tried the checker posted above for my full address. Results below.
One point to note is that I know that the Yateley exchange now has fibre, and when I use the checker on the BT site for my house on some days it says Infinity is available, on some days it doesnt show it. I have raised this to BT who have confirmed it is available and are just in the process of installing it for my neighbour.

RG27 0QA on Exchange YATELEY
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jul-12 13:43:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Aconite:
on some days it says Infinity is available, on some days it doesnt show it.

Its possible then that your cab is full when you check and it doesn't show.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jul-12 15:35:09
Print Post

One point to note is that I know that the Yateley exchange now has fibre

Yes, I can remember doing an install there Christmas before last !! confused

Print Thread

Jump to