General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nevsie
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-12 15:17:35
Print Post

FTTC Cuffley - Just connected and questions!!!

[link to this post]

Hi All,
A brief History - was on BeThere ADSL and was receiving speeds of 5down 1up. Reasonably happy (apart from the constant dropped packets!)

FTTC got installed and was suggested that i would get at least 11down and 1up. So after reading reviews and getting general feed back i saw that these speed estimates were slightly conservative, and i should easily achieve a little more if not a lot more.

So off i went with BT and FTTC connection - and today installed and showing speeds of 8down (a nice improvement) but 0.5up...

The engineers have said that the profile at the cabinet/exchange was incorrect - i.e. BT are not throwing enough speed at it, as such my up speed is suffering. Now on speaking to BT they said there are not profiles and this does not make sense unless it is all over congested.

So my query is, if FTTC to the cabinet delivers more speed, and nothing has changed in terms of cabinet to me... How can ADSL have a better up connection than the new connection?

And therefore, what should i be doing about it, who should i speak to, and technically what needs saying. The Openreach engineers told me to tell BT that Fibre is worse than ADSL and as such the profile is poor, BT sat there looking dum faced... Grr... Advice please?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jul-12 15:24:31
Print Post

Re: FTTC Cuffley - Just connected and questions!!!

[re: nevsie] [link to this post]

Did the engineer tell you your connection speeds, and what does the BT speedtester say your IP Profiles are up and down? (That'sif the lousy thing works for you. It's been "improved" so falls over a lot at the moment). Use the diagnostic one on the left, not the beta.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User nevsie
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-12 15:37:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi And thanks... In answer to your queries... the Engineer said i should be on a 40/20 connection, but that i would actually be on Faster Broadband and not infinity as the line tests show speeds less than xxxx...

I ran through the BT wholesale tester and then ran the diagnostics. It said IP profile speeds of 8 and 2 were on this line, of which i am receiving near the 8 but less than 0.5 for the 2 up ip profile.

Is that what you referring to? or?
Thanks N

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Thu 19-Jul-12 19:29:19
Print Post

Can you PM me the postcode so we can perform a check on which cabinet you are on, and the distance?

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User nevsie
(newbie) Thu 19-Jul-12 20:06:28
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Thanks and sent... just wonder why down would double, yet up halve!!!
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jul-12 21:29:12
Print Post

With FTTC DLM, the sync starts high and drops. With ADSL/2/2+ it starts low and increases.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User nevsie
(newbie) Tue 31-Jul-12 17:30:10
Print Post

Just an update to this, for my own sanity...

Speeds bounced around as expected for the first few days... settled at about 7down and 0.5 up...
Then Olympic day 1 and they have both halved as if by magic!!! about 4/0.25

BT sent a openreach engineer out to check the line as they say it is not right.
First he swapped out the brand new modem i was given, stating it was seriously old (only 1 week old from the BT people who installed it!), bt apparently this new one is correct. No Change.

He checked the line, and said i should easily be getting 15-20 down based on all information so there is either a profile, cap or hardware issue in the cabinet or exchange.

Visiting the cabinet the wires were all swapped back to front, so he put that right at both end (exchnage and cab). No difference to speed.

So he did a speed test directly at the cabinet - FTTC to the cabinet should be full to the profile right 40/2 or 40/10 or maybe even 80/20.... Oh there is a problem, even the cabinet is only getting 7mb. must be a profile or exchange problem.

Profile reset as they had got it on the wrong values...
Told to expect a change over the next 24 hours, and nothing. still stuck on 4/0.25

So they suspect hardware issues... wonder how long that will take to resolve.
Grumble on...
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Tue 31-Jul-12 22:39:31
Print Post

It's reassuring that the problem has been found to be somewhere other than your phone line to the cabinet or your house; no difficulty in persuading BT into fixing it.

..quite how long it'll take for them to actually effect the repair is another matter of course!
  Print Thread

Jump to