General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dizzibits
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-12 19:38:18
Print Post

So, the infinity engineer is coming on Tuesday. Any advice?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I ordered infinity 2 weeks or so ago with an install date of July 24th.

I've waited patiently for this time to come and have now received the reminder to say the engineer will be round with a few tips on what to expect.

Any thing else I should consider?

I want the master socket changed if poss to a secondary socket on the 3rd floor, as that is where the main computer is. (ground floor is a bank, 2nd and 3rd floors are residential)

I asked on the BT community forums. Some said it will be possible, others said it will depend on the engineer.

Any insider information I should/could ask for? Line stats?

I'll be running off the BT modem into a RT-N56U

Thanks,

dizzi

My exchange - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDPLGT

My adsl check: http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/dizzibits/0...

My face on Tuesday morning when the bell goes: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__lf-F8sEB-Y/S_P8RwvL0xI/AA...

Edited by dizzibits (Sun 22-Jul-12 19:49:49)

Standard User Ixel
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-12 20:56:26
Print Post

Re: So, the infinity engineer is coming on Tuesday. Any advi

[re: dizzibits] [link to this post]

Polegate, that's not far from where I am, Eastbourne. Well, tea/coffee and biscuits are generally useful, the engineer I had when I was setup last month had the drink and the biscuits on the plate.

Additionally if you have a special faceplate, such as ADSLNation's XTE-2005, be certain the engineer doesn't take it away with him/her without you noticing. The day before the engineer turned up to setup my Infinity I removed the mentioned faceplate above and used a microfilter, he then unplugged the microfilter and installed the new faceplate.

Offer the engineer tea/coffee and biscuits and I'm sure they will do the changes to the socket that you mention, if it's not too difficult and is possible to do so.

Edited by Ixel (Sun 22-Jul-12 20:58:23)

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Sun 22-Jul-12 21:09:27
Print Post

Tip for you... its not a BT Infinity engineer as they don't exist smile

It's an Openreach FTTC engineer smile

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jul-12 21:15:55
Print Post

If you don't require the existing master socket, then this should be real easy for the engineer. They can just bypass the existing, and make the extension where you require it to be connected the new NTE.

Make sure there is plenty of room in and around where you want it to be. Spare power supplies near by.

Some engineers will ring ahead then go straight to the cab, others will ring, then visit site to make sure all is in order and let them tone your line back to the cab.

Which ISP did you choose, and have you requested a 'Home Wiring Solution' from your ISP ?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Jul-12 21:56:52
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

... if you have a special faceplate, such as ADSLNation's XTE-2005, be certain the engineer doesn't take it away with him/her without you noticing
The ones who know anything about what they are doing will just leave it there and connect the modem to it. Except where the user wants the master moved of course, as in this case.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Ixel
(regular) Sun 22-Jul-12 22:09:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
... if you have a special faceplate, such as ADSLNation's XTE-2005, be certain the engineer doesn't take it away with him/her without you noticing
The ones who know anything about what they are doing will just leave it there and connect the modem to it. Except where the user wants the master moved of course, as in this case.

I'm just offering advice based on the fact that I've read on forums that they may, and on some occasions actually have, replace the special faceplate (e.g. ADSLNation) with the VDSL certified one and take the old (special) faceplate with them. Better to be safe than sorry in my view.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 22-Jul-12 22:13:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ixel:
I'm just offering advice based on the fact that I've read on forums that they may, and on some occasions actually have, replace the special faceplate (e.g. ADSLNation) with the VDSL certified one and take the old (special) faceplate with them. Better to be safe than sorry in my view.

In my case he removed my ADSLNation faceplate and gave it to me, shouldn't be a problem if you ask.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Jul-12 22:18:36
Print Post

Yes, you're right smile. What I really meant was, as what I said is true, there is no harm in asking the engineer if that would be OK. Saves him having to reconnect any extensions for one thing tongue. Though maybe a good idea if he agrees would be to get him to leave the unused replacement - as a spare. (Needs a normal faceplate as well of course).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User dizzibits
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-12 22:25:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
Polegate, that's not far from where I am, Eastbourne. Well, tea/coffee and biscuits are generally useful, the engineer I had when I was setup last month had the drink and the biscuits on the plate.

Additionally if you have a special faceplate, such as ADSLNation's XTE-2005, be certain the engineer doesn't take it away with him/her without you noticing. The day before the engineer turned up to setup my Infinity I removed the mentioned faceplate above and used a microfilter, he then unplugged the microfilter and installed the new faceplate.

Offer the engineer tea/coffee and biscuits and I'm sure they will do the changes to the socket that you mention, if it's not too difficult and is possible to do so.

Will have tea, coffee and biscuits at the ready, no special faceplate - thanks smile

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Tip for you... its not a BT Infinity engineer as they don't exist smile

It's an Openreach FTTC engineer smile

I'll try to remember that.

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
If you don't require the existing master socket, then this should be real easy for the engineer. They can just bypass the existing, and make the extension where you require it to be connected the new NTE.

Make sure there is plenty of room in and around where you want it to be. Spare power supplies near by.

Some engineers will ring ahead then go straight to the cab, others will ring, then visit site to make sure all is in order and let them tone your line back to the cab.

Which ISP did you choose, and have you requested a 'Home Wiring Solution' from your ISP ?

ISP is BT. My current set up is fairly clear of clutter, though I need to move 1 item of furniture to get at the phone socket.

The router is in very close proximity to the socket and my computer (all within 2m of each other ) with a couple of spare power sockets.

I'd still like to use the socket that is currently the master, will that be possible?

Also, will I need to have the home hub installed? Or can the modem just go straight into my asus router?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jul-12 22:31:16
Print Post

I'd still like to use the socket that is currently the master, will that be possible?

More than likely. Either a data extension kit from the existing, or a little jiggery-pokery with the existing internal wiring.
Also, will I need to have the home hub installed? Or can the modem just go straight into my asus router?

Yes, the engineer will connect it up and demo it as working with that. Just wait till they have gone, then fit your router. At least you will know it is all rocking and rolling, and if it don't work with your kit, you've done something wrong ! smile

I'm very partial to a fig newton myself ! wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to