General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CWD
(newbie) Tue 24-Jul-12 14:34:10
Print Post

Infinity in Swindon, Old Town

[link to this post]

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to check one of these cabinet availability spreadsheets that seem to be floating around to check whether or not I'm ever likely to get Infinity? I live in SN1 4GR (Old Town, Swindon).

There are Infinity cabinets under a mile away from me, but they appear to have completely ignored my immediate area. Despite many, many attempts to get an answer from BT, I'm just told to "keep checking".

Unfortunately, without the option of Virgin cable services either (as I live on a new build estate) I fear I may be destined to receive 4Mb down 0.5Mb up ADSL for a very long time yet frown

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CWD (Tue 24-Jul-12 14:42:45)

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Tue 24-Jul-12 20:41:17
Print Post

Re: Infinity in Swindon, Old Town

[re: CWD] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, your property (and others on the same postcode) are not fed via a cabinet, but direct from the exchange, so I'm afraid you can't get Fibre to the Cabinet from BT or any other FTTC ISP. That's why you won't see any new cabinets in your area as you are not fed from the same.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-Jul-12 20:45:06
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Unfortunately, your property (and others on the same postcode) are not fed via a cabinet, but direct from the exchange, so I'm afraid you can't get Fibre to the Cabinet from BT or any other FTTC ISP. That's why you won't see any new cabinets in your area as you are not fed from the same.

Hi James. Thanks for your reply, but I'm a bit confused! There are at least 2 cabinets within a couple of hundred meters of my property and the exchange is over a mile away, surely I can't be connected directly to the exchange?!? Also, I've had a line fault recently and asked what cabinet I was connected to and the engineer seemed to indicate it was the one at the end of a road near my house?

Apologies if it sounds like I'm questioning your answer, it just doesn't seem sensible to connect people directly to an exchange when there are cabinets so close by.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CWD
(newbie) Tue 24-Jul-12 20:46:08
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
In reply to a post by Adsl24:

Hi James. Thanks for your reply, but I'm a bit confused! There are at least 2 cabinets within a couple of hundred meters of my property and the exchange is over a mile away, surely I can't be connected directly to the exchange?!? Also, I've had a line fault recently and asked what cabinet I was connected to and the engineer seemed to indicate it was the one at the end of a road near my house?

Apologies if it sounds like I'm questioning your answer, it just doesn't seem sensible to connect people directly to an exchange when there are cabinets so close by.

Whoops! Didn't realise you could post here as anonymous! Apologies.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Tue 24-Jul-12 20:59:06
Print Post

There are often clusters of properties connected directly for no obvious reason where all around are via a cab. There are reasons of course which maybe due to lack of capacity at the cabinet or cost of providing a cable route.
Standard User CWD
(newbie) Tue 24-Jul-12 21:01:19
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Damn! Well I guess that answers that one.

It would be nice if BT openly provided that information, I've been so frustrated trying to find out why my area hadn't been targeted for the Infinity roll-out but have found it impossible to find out anything useful. To a certain extent, knowing I can't get it is less frustrating than thinking I might be able to at some point soon!

Thanks for the help.
(isp) Tue 24-Jul-12 21:03:49
Print Post

Re: Infinity in Swindon, Old Town *DELETED*

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Adsl24
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Tue 24-Jul-12 21:04:28
Print Post

Let me guess, you live in a relatively new build estate?

It makes no difference whether there are nearby cabinets, or if you are a mile from the exchange. What Openreach did, in the past, is that when a new estate was built or more capacity was required, frequently there was not enough space in the nearby cabinet to serve all the new properties, so they had to run a new cable from the exchange in the existing ducting (its very easy for them to do this), and then that cable serves the entire estate. This was normal practice in years gone by, and is not a problem.

That is, until FTTC came along. Whilst in the past it made absolutely no difference if you were fed from a cabinet or the exchange direct, it does now. But you can't do much about that now, its just the way the openreach network is.

The below postcodes are all on exchange lines:

SN1 4GR
SN1 4GL
SN1 4GD

Sorry!

James

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
(isp) Tue 24-Jul-12 21:06:02
Print Post

P.S. Please don't say "Infinity" rollout as that winds me up smile

it's not Infinity, its FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet). Infinity is just the package name BT call it.

Other ISPs can offer FTTC the same as BT can!

Hey ho smile

James

Edited by Adsl24 (Tue 24-Jul-12 21:06:31)

Standard User CWD
(newbie) Tue 24-Jul-12 21:06:11
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

No that's fine. As I said, I'd rather know either way. You've done more in 10 minutes than BT have managed in about a year! Thanks for your help.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to