General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PaulG
(member) Wed 25-Jul-12 21:41:49
Print Post

FTTC and BT master socket

[link to this post]

I've ordered one of Xilo's 40mbps FTTC products and the BT engineer will be calling on 7th Aug to install. We have lived in this house for nearly 20 years and we have never had the need to call a BT engineer.

The line enters my house in the lounge where there is a standard socket but the master socket (the one with the capacitor) has always been fitted to an extension in the kitchen. I'm not sure if previous owner or BT fitted the extension. Last year when I was replacing the kitchen, I replaced the aging master socket with a NTE5 socket.

Is it OK to have the master socket on an extension and will the BT engineer be happy to fit the modem to it? I would prefer to keep the modem in the kitchen.

I'm planning to buy an Asus RT-N56U wireless router. Will this be compatable with my FTTC service? My PC currently has a Belkin 54g USB wireless adapter. Will I need to upgrade this to get the higher speeds.

So many questions..... thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Jul-12 22:51:27
Print Post

Re: FTTC and BT master socket

[re: PaulG] [link to this post]

master socket also contains lightning protector, hence first in the line in the property, things can be wired so that incoming line goes to the current master location in the kitchen and then an extension back to the one in the hall.

A G wireless device will limit you to speeds of around 20 Mbps when using wireless, the rt-n56u will be fine, and has wireless that is fast enough. So your G device will work, but to get above about 20Meg will need to be upgraded to an N device

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulG
(member) Thu 26-Jul-12 19:59:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Mr S. I assume there must be a good reason why you can't have two master sockets fitted?

For the past 20 years, my modem has always been connected to the master socket on the end of the extension and I don't have any problems with this configuration. Would the BT engineer refuse to fit the FTTC modem to this socket?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jul-12 20:53:36
Print Post

[re: PaulG] [link to this post]

Because of the load imposed by the ring capacitors I believe, and the master design is meant to be different so you can easily tell the demarkation line between where your responsibility ends and BT starts

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to