General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User phonic2k
(newbie) Thu 26-Jul-12 12:53:56
Print Post

Want Infinity & have aluminium(even if length is 300)? avoid

[link to this post]

Did you know on BT Infinity2 your speeds can be 20mb(sync not throughput), out of the 60 or 70mb estimated and they will say it's normal, as it's an up to service. The same goes for your upload speed, you may have got 18mb before a fault, and after fault is fixed only 9mb, but they will not do anything to rectify it, as... you guessed it: it's an up to service.

So, If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m like my line) stay well clear of making a new contract with BT, as they will hold you to it no matter how bad your speeds are. I got 10 million errors in 5 hours after they said they have fixed it, then the next day 345,120 crc errors bringing down the connection again.

Next week it will rain again, and I assume my line will drop multi times, and speeds even lower due to DLM..but you see I must live with it, as there is no fault(so they say).... it's an up to service. I even asked the question: so, the up to is 0-20 upload, and if I get 0.5 or even 0. that's ok, as it's up to? he said yes! What Zero(0)???

In 18 years in the business, I never seen so much incompetence from such a big company, from support staff asking you to wave cat5 cables in the air(thinking it will solve the issue), to level 2 support and management staff that can't understand the difference from throughput to line speed, and frequently get them confused(maybe to pass the problem on to the customer's own equipment?

The most frustrating thing about BT is that the sales guys sell Infinty2 as better uploads and better service than virgin media, but once you sign up.... they just don't give a damn as you're under contract now, and hide before the "UP TO" no matter the problem.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jul-12 13:02:59
Print Post

Re: Want Infinity & have aluminium(even if length is 300)? a

[re: phonic2k] [link to this post]

Slow sync, yes there is no requirement for them to provide any specific speed, if they cannot fix it, Openreach can at will simply cease your contract.

If the line is dropping a lot and getting lots of errors, then points towards jointing problems, which can be worse with aluminium.

A different provider may interface better with Openreach to deal with the issue of course. If it is really so bad that you want shot of it, then talk to trading standards/CAB over poor service level.

Question really is how good was the ADSL before this? If you have Al and joint issues, that may not have been so great.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Cobra001
(committed) Thu 26-Jul-12 13:39:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I know a couple of people who ahve paid to have the wires replace, also over at the skyuser forums someone had it replace for free.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Jul-12 13:44:23
Print Post

I would of thought that if someone isn't able to benefit from higher speeds then they should at least be offered the chance to regrade to a cheaper option that offers lower speeds, if fact i thought that all isp's must offer this in such circumstances
And in this case it's in part down to BT openreach using aluminum cables ,and then still selling a product that they should know won't be fit for purpose on that line
I would write a formal letter of complaint to your isp, sent "to sign for "(so they can't say they didn't receive it ) outlining these issues, and requesting that if they will not fix it, then you want a refund from the start of the issues , and wish to be released from the remainder of the contract penalty free
if no result from that then register a complaint with their ADR service,

Standard User phonic2k
(newbie) Thu 26-Jul-12 13:46:50
Print Post

I had BE Broadband before and could leave the Mac uploading for a week without any resync, I got 1.3 Mb upload and 11Mb download. Slow, but very stable. I also was not sold anything I could not get, and never had a BT Engineer visit while on BE Broadband in 7 years of service. Two months on BT Infinity2 and I wish I never bothered. all 5 Engineers agreed with me(unofficially) that the jump from 2.2MHz to 17MHz is too must for the old aluminium cable, so they cut more speed to try and stabilize the line.
Standard User phonic2k
(newbie) Thu 26-Jul-12 13:52:38
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

Replace for free?? Head office will not move to replace the 300m of cable, so I'm not sure how this person had it done for free. I'm on a 70Ali pair. Anyone know the pricing to get your own line replaced with copper? or jump on HTTP sooner?

Edited by phonic2k (Thu 26-Jul-12 14:12:56)

Standard User simon194
(member) Thu 26-Jul-12 15:02:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by phonic2k:
Replace for free?? Head office will not move to replace the 300m of cable, so I've not sure who this person had it done for free. I'm on a 70 Alu pair. Anyone know the pricing to get your own line replaced with copper? or jump on HTTP sooner?

There a lot of doubt about surrounding that claim on several forums.

Round my way they replaced about 100m of aluminium cable when they installed the fibre cabinet because, as the guy that did my fibre install said, "it was causing serious problems". He didn't elaborate on what the problem were though.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Jul-12 18:15:46
Print Post

The sync rate should be no less than half the expected sync rate.

How are you seeing those errors ?

What result does www.speedtester.bt.com show ?

It must be a seriously pisspoor pair if it is as bad as you say, seen 700m of ali do 16meg, stable. I would have suggested a lift and shift of the DSLAM port, because if your old service was stable, the only thing that has changed is the DSLAM, and now it's a lot closer.

Tell me they have swapped out the modem during one of these visits. Has any one suggested REIN. Or possibly crosstalk, which might be cured with a D-side swap.

Replace 300m of buried cable, not on your nelly, I'm afraid.

Standard User phonic2k
(newbie) Mon 30-Jul-12 00:12:14
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Well, I've been told by the BT customer care manager that they can't see the need to replace the Ali, as they don't promise you will get any speed as it's an UP TO service, meaning anything up to 80Mb. The man could not even give an answer as to why my speeds never returned back to pre-fault levels, only to repeat the magic saying "we don't promise you anything, as it's an UP TO service."

When will they stop using that cop out... I assume they are saving the money for FTTP and hopping it will give those on Ali as good reason to upgrade. So we pay to fix the problem.
  Print Thread

Jump to