General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User locutus
(committed) Thu 26-Jul-12 18:44:12
Print Post

Google Fiber

[link to this post]

Well ok, it's not launched over here, and it's only in Kansas City at the moment, but it shows the kind of solutions that are out there and we're moving towards.

Google Fiber

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Hyperoptic 1Gig http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063605290.png
Standard User techguy
(committed) Thu 26-Jul-12 20:00:36
Print Post

Re: Google Fiber

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

All your browsing habits logged and sold to advertisers and there ain't no plugin that could stop that if you choose to take fibre/fiber from them and people thought Phorm was bad.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Fri 27-Jul-12 21:50:29
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

LOL, paranoid much.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jul-12 23:09:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by techguy:
All your browsing habits logged and sold to advertisers and there ain't no plugin that could stop that if you choose to take fibre/fiber from them and people thought Phorm was bad.

LOL, if you think Google's that bad, what about the security services? MI-5, GCHQ, NSA, CIA etc?

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jul-12 23:56:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by techguy:

http://fiber.google.com/legal/privacy.html

Technical information collected from the use of Google Fiber Internet for network management, security or maintenance may be associated with the Google Account you use for Fiber, but such information associated with the Google Account you use for Fiber will not be used by other Google properties without your consent. Other information from the use of Google Fiber Internet (such as URLs of websites visited or content of communications) will not be associated with the Google Account you use for Fiber, except with your consent or to meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.

We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google except in the circumstances (such as with your consent, with domain administrators, for external processing and for legal reasons) as more fully set out in the Google Privacy Policy.

We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners like content providers, publishers, advertisers or connected sites.

Pretty standard stuff.
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Sat 28-Jul-12 13:04:58
Print Post

Yup its a damn fine service.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
40/10

"A Half Speed Customer"
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User anon1
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Jul-12 16:55:45
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

And with their current performance you actually believe them on privacy?
Standard User TechGuyUK
(learned) Sat 28-Jul-12 17:31:08
Print Post

Hmm -

Now if Google would only take over OpenReach and show them how to roll out a product without asking everyone and their Cat if they want it first...

..then WE might have the service the (failed) government plans have threatened us with for years.

wishful thinking or what?
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jul-12 17:40:45
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TechGuyUK:
Now if Google would only take over OpenReach and show them how to roll out a product without asking everyone and their Cat if they want it first...

Only thing is, Google do ask everyone and their cat if they want it first. They won't install it without a minimum number of pre-registrations. And pre-registering costs $10.

Oliver.
Standard User locutus
(committed) Sat 28-Jul-12 17:42:50
Print Post

[re: TechGuyUK] [link to this post]

Maybe they could partner with companies like Hyperoptic over here (ok, I'm biased on this one) and run Google TV and other services over their network?

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Hyperoptic 1Gig http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063605290.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to