General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Jul-12 08:45:10
Print Post

Hereford part two

[link to this post]

It was getting a bit long, sorry but all the anonymous people was not making it any better. If you are going to use the forums often, then a good idea to register, you don't need to give your real name you know.

anyway in reply too funkyboy, if your mate is getting only 15megabits, then they should have a word with BT, i think that if it is 15 megabits or over, Bt will not do much, but it is worth a try.

co-op college Cab is now free from barriers, not been close enough to it to hear if it is buzzing.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALL PAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Sketchygr
(newbie) Fri 27-Jul-12 09:14:23
Print Post

Re: Hereford part two

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Not sure if you realised but you double posted the thread, may want to delete the other! Also put a link to the other thread just as a reference so people can re-check replies if necessary. Seen a Western Power van driving around on my way to work this morning, always a good sign. Let's hope it isn't long before the first cab goes live. Any ideas on which cab will be ready first?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Jul-12 10:18:13
Print Post

[re: Sketchygr] [link to this post]

I thought there was another thread, it gone now, well I can't see it.

For a laugh I just did a check and fibre will be here on the 30th of September, that was via postcode as I don't have a phone line any more. I never known Bt to be early with anything, so i be surprised if it comes before then.

i have no idea if the fibre itself is up here or not, but I presume it is not, no sticker on cab either, some people in other parts of the country says about stickers from BT openreach being put on the cab advertising super fast broadband.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALL PAY Wireless broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 27-Jul-12 11:04:34
Print Post

Can you change the title to include "hereford FTTC part 2" please
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 27-Jul-12 11:06:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
i have no idea if the fibre itself is up here or not, but I presume it is not, no sticker on cab either, some people in other parts of the country says about stickers from BT openreach being put on the cab advertising super fast broadband.

They don't put stickers on until it's live.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 27-Jul-12 11:15:41
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

PCP2 at the corner of Tower Road and Breinton Road turned green

See the Herefrord FTTC map here:

www.tinyurl.com/hereford-fttc
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 27-Jul-12 11:21:27
Print Post

It was getting a bit long, sorry but all the anonymous people was not making it any better.

I don't need to post, then there will be nearly no updates in the thread. At least what I post is on topic in the Fibre forum.

Coluld you also create an Allpay thread for discussion on their wireless serivce provision, that too would help.
Standard User Sketchygr
(newbie) Fri 27-Jul-12 12:14:01
Print Post

For a laugh I just did a check and fibre will be here on the 30th of September, that was via postcode as I don't have a phone line any more. I never known Bt to be early with anything, so i be surprised if it comes before then.

These are placeholder quarterly dates, not that accurate really. One thing i'd like to say is i can't see why openreach would put so much effort in for a few weeks, just to then wait for 2-3 months to get it activated. There's so much work going on you'd think they would casually upgrade cabs over a long length of time rather than rush it, if it wasnt going to be done soon.

Then again, i've seen stranger things and i know anything can happen so who knows, i guess we'll get more of an estimate when the first cab goes live.
Standard User brettuk
(regular) Fri 27-Jul-12 13:13:19
Print Post

[re: Sketchygr] [link to this post]

The Kempton Avenue cabinet is probably delayed due Management company involved, as the existing PCP is on there land and based on my dealings with them they wont be the quickest and easiest to deal with. On the brightside im going to rob all the bandwidth as im the closest to the cabinet , luckily they should be enough bandwidth for everyone!

Is this a guess or have you heard it's delayed?

Don't be too optimistic, this is Bt after all and i know a few people who got fibre cabs near them in other towns and have been waiting for months for Bt to switch them on.

Commercial Conditions in Hereford, what makes this heap of a city any different to any other?

Might have something to do with this: http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/02/23/the-slowest-broadb...

Broadband blackspots for towns and cities with populations above 40,000:
Hereford, HR1-4 - average broadband download speed 3.196 Mbps
Kilmarnock, KA1-3 - average broadband download speed 3.218 Mbps
Carlisle, CA1-6- average broadband download speed 3.240 Mbps
Dumfries, DG1-2- average broadband download speed 3.604 Mbps
Canterbury, CT1-4 - average broadband download speed 4.013 Mbps
Shrewsbury, SY1-3- average broadband download speed 4.089 Mbps
Lancaster, LA1 - average broadband download speed 5.479 Mbps
Chester, CH1-4 - average broadband download speed 6.052 Mbps

We've got the worst broadband in the UK for a decent sized city, I just think BT are being kicked into making up for it now, I think that's why there's such a rush on

xilo
Standard User asbokid
(member) Fri 27-Jul-12 23:51:02
Print Post

[re: brettuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brettuk:
Commercial Conditions in Hereford, what makes this heap of a city any different to any other?

Might have something to do with this: http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/02/23/the-slowest-broadb...

Broadband blackspots for towns and cities with populations above 40,000:
Hereford, HR1-4 - average broadband download speed 3.196 Mbps
We've got the worst broadband in the UK for a decent sized city.

I just think BT are being kicked into making up for it now, I think that's why there's such a rush on

What a strange and undesirable quirk for the good people of Hereford!

Has BT offered a technical explanation for Hereford's poor quality broadband?

Unusually long average loop lengths (D side+E side) to consumer premises, perhaps? Issues with old plant? Capacity problems? In recent years, a rapidly expanding population?

If this [1] is the Hereford telephone exchange (HR4 0JT) then it looks relative modern. 1980s, perhaps. And it's located fairly centrally in the town.

On loop length distribution in the UK, Professor Barry Forde, author of a 2009 JANET technical report on LLU [2] cites an OFCOM-commissioned report from SARGENTIA [3], which in turn cites unpublished documents from BT.

In summary, BT stated in 2004 that the average loop length (D+E) in the UK is 3,470 metres including the dropwire.

Returning to Hereford, drawing a circle with radius 3,000 metres around the exchange encompasses almost the entire city. [4] However, the city is cut in half by a large river (Wye) which perhaps poses problems with E-side routing, extending the average loop length, maybe?

Or could Hereford's sluggish broadband be down to ailing and/or aged plant? Lots of aluminium pairs in the local network perhaps? It would be interesting to find out!

cheers, a

[1] http://goo.gl/maps/V2eI
[2] http://web01ulcc.ja.net/documents/development/llu/ll...
[3] http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/t...
[4] http://picturepush.com/public/8836401

Edited by asbokid (Sat 28-Jul-12 00:16:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to