General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ixel
(regular) Fri 27-Jul-12 10:03:28
Print Post

Is this normal degradation or a forming fault?

[link to this post]

I've had infinity for around 1 month and a half, and comparing line statistics from 13/06/2012 to today (27/07/2012) I've noticed a drop in sync speeds and attainable rates, as well as a recent massive CRC error spike (30,000 or so?!) yesterday afternoon.

Other information is that I'm about 75m-100m walking distance to the cabinet though obviously the line could take a longer route.

My line originally had an attainable rate of around 100,000~ down and 30,000~ up. Today the attainable rate is currently around 87,000~ down and 25,000~ up. Strangely I've noticed that if I disconnect and reconnect the modem manually (I obviously have done this rarely so DLM doesn't see that as a threat) the attainable rate goes up a bit compared to what it originally was before I disconnected.

I also feel it's important to mention that the original VDSL faceplate BT installed seemed to do something considered faulty, after several hours of being connected it would start to produce a highly variating SNR, with errors rising rapidly. As soon as I disconnected and reconnected the modem it was fine for several hours again. I switched the faceplate to my ADSLNation XTE-2005 and it's been fine since. My thinking is perhaps the faceplate wasn't faulty and there is a fault somewhere on my line?

Quite line test a while back for a few seconds initially into the call did produce a sort of distorted voice giving me the options, then it cleared up and I haven't noticed it do it since (was tested using my corded phone). I also occasionally have phone calls where the other person say they can't hear me well although I can hear them fine.

Anyway, here's some graphs:
- Recent 4 days (since I reinstalled my O/S) of line activity @ http://i.imgur.com/rSdY6.png
- Today's line statistics @ http://i.imgur.com/5STca.png
- 13/06/2012 line statistics @ http://i.imgur.com/Vsqlw.png
- A sample of the BT VDSL faceplate problem I mentioned @ http://i.imgur.com/dFIj0.png

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ixel (Fri 27-Jul-12 10:04:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Jul-12 10:10:58
Print Post

Re: Is this normal degradation or a forming fault?

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Spike may be work in cabinets connecting others and drop may be cross talk increasing as more people get connected

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Fri 27-Jul-12 10:14:36
Print Post

We have a similar issue. We were the first on our cabinet and it synced at 80/20 and an attainable rate of 130/45 as we are about 80m from the cabinet.

We had two more FTTC lines installed a few days later and this dropped the attainable rate to under 100 but they all sync at 80/20 still.

Now, around 4 months later, 2 lines are syncing around 72Mb and the other is 80Mb, and the attainable rate is 80 or below on all 3 now.

This is a new 10 pair cable direct from the DP so should not be anything wrong with that.

Definitely crosstalk, or something else. Maybe if its such a short line to the cab, the DSLAM reduces the power or signal that it outputs therefore the attainable rate is not really telling the story?

James

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ixel
(regular) Fri 27-Jul-12 10:19:33
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

I see, thanks for both replies. Also do you think it's worth me buying another BT VDSL faceplate and see if it does what the other one does?
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Fri 27-Jul-12 10:25:50
Print Post

Might be worth plugging direct in to the BT test port (using a standard dangle type filter) behind the faceplate. If this does not improve the stats then no point in buying a new faceplate.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to