General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jul-12 19:09:17
Print Post

Fttc cabs, a question of power

[link to this post]

Do they ever connect to cabs up to mains supply during cab installation, just that apart from one or 2 cabs they have filled the trenches and tarmac'd over them , suggesting power through ducting into cab ,(although maybe isolated ), and just waiting the fiber links to be fed through the ducting

The few sites of cab installs where the cabs are in place ducting in most of the trenches filled apart from presumably where the power cable is , maybe suggesting that it wasn't connected for some reason, maybe no one on the team was authorized to perform a live mains connection that feeds street lights and illuminated road signs

And in the last day or so this "3 BT ROLLING WORKS, NO EXCAVATION" have started appearing on the council's street works web page , i assume this to be the fibre cabling ,

Standard User Ixel
(regular) Fri 27-Jul-12 19:17:43
Print Post

Re: Fttc cabs, a question of power

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

When they did the one I'm connected to they did the power last. This involved UK Power Networks doing some work (digging up again and then re-filling the trench afterwards). A week or so following that it went live and ready for orders, with me getting in first and for about two weeks following me having Infinity I believe I was the only one using Infinity on that cabinet (no noticeable drop in attainable rate, unlike now where I've so far lost around 10-15Mbps attainable downstream about 1 month and a half later).
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jul-12 19:56:51
Print Post

Re: Fttc cabs, a question of power

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Not a good sign, if an increase in users on the cab are causing the rate at which you can sync at to drop by so much, could also be down to crosstalk along the D side copper bundle,triggering DLM of course ,

Well i no there is no or few cabs with a fiber feed as yet ,as i think they have only started on that part of things ,
They all may still have to be connected to he mains , it's just with 2 or 3 cab sites still having only part filled trenches after over a week since the cab was put in, the trench to the pcp has been filled in but the other one which crosses a road and ends near to a give way illuminated sign, to me suggests that is the power duct waiting to be connected up

But in the past over 12mths ago when a neighboring exchange was FTTC enabled, they backfilled and then returned to dig it up again to do the various stages , maybe they have changed this to save money and time where possible ?

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 27-Jul-12 19:58:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to