General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Quartermass
(newbie) Mon 30-Jul-12 19:14:48
Print Post

Replacement Router/Switch/Modem?

[link to this post]

Hi. I've now got fibre to the cabinet, and an openreach modem, a BT home hub 3 and a gigabit switch (3 ports in use, plus 1 for the router).

I'd like to consolidate all of that into one device - it'll need to have gigabit ethernet ports (3 would be fine), and decent wireless range, ideally with 5ghz wireless n.

I'd like to get rid of all 3 devices and replace them with one device. I'm assuming there will be power savings in doing so.

Are there any devices out there that can do this?
Standard User Toonshorty
(newbie) Mon 30-Jul-12 20:13:20
Print Post

Re: Replacement Router/Switch/Modem?

[re: Quartermass] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Quartermass:
Hi. I've now got fibre to the cabinet, and an openreach modem, a BT home hub 3 and a gigabit switch (3 ports in use, plus 1 for the router).

I'd like to consolidate all of that into one device - it'll need to have gigabit ethernet ports (3 would be fine), and decent wireless range, ideally with 5ghz wireless n.

I'd like to get rid of all 3 devices and replace them with one device. I'm assuming there will be power savings in doing so.

Are there any devices out there that can do this?

Firstly, I don't believe there are any modem/routers that support FTTC as of yet.

Secondly, routers use very little power to be honest (usually ~12w). Doubt the investment would pay for itself.

Plus it would allow you to buy a dedicated router and install DD-WRT (Or other firmware) at a later date if needs be.

I'm actually looking to replace my modem/router hybrid with two devices for extra flexibility.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Jul-12 20:47:11
Print Post

Have a search through this forum, I'm 100% sure there are combined FTTC modem/routers.

Fritzbox, and Draytek do the above, and others I'm sure.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Jul-12 20:52:03
Print Post

There are at least two, the Fritz!box 7390 and the Draytek Vigor 2750n but they are not cheap.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Mon 30-Jul-12 21:37:02
Print Post

You will get far more options if leave the Openreach modem as it is. Removing the modem an using your own will not be supported by your ISP/Openreach if you have any fault on the line, so just be wary of that smile

Plenty of wireless gigabit routers out there that will work with the Openreach modem, but only a few with a VDSL2 modem built in.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User simon194
(member) Tue 31-Jul-12 00:22:59
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Have a search through this forum, I'm 100% sure there are combined FTTC modem/routers.

Fritzbox, and Draytek do the above, and others I'm sure.

There's the Billion BiPAC 8200N but that doesn't have gigabit ports although I believe it's replacement, the 8200NEL, does but there isn't any release date for it yet.
  Print Thread

Jump to