General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 21:11:23
Print Post

Wireless repeater

[link to this post]

Hi there

I have Sky fibre 80 / 20

At the front of my house the bedrooms only get 100 KB/s on downloads which is pretty terrible. The WiFi is one or 2 bars & iPhones wont even find the connection.

I've tried moving the master but wherever I put it I introduce a slow spot elsewhere...

I am looking to extend the WiFi somehow but I'm not sure of the best way.

I got some 500 Mbps homeplugs and hooked up a router but the speed fell short of the 80 Mbps connection...

I would install a repeater in the centre of the house. Here I can get full 80 Mbps on WiFi with my devices. If I could get a repeater here I would also get good signal all over.

My concern with a repeater is the 50% speed reduction. I know I can install Ethernet to the repeater but that's going to be messy.

Is a Ethernet cable to the repeater the only true solution or are there repeaters that would not reduce the speed.

EDIT: I've googled a fair bit but haven't found a definite 100% solution just yet.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 01-Aug-12 21:47:46)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Aug-12 08:29:39
Print Post

Re: Wireless repeater

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

You don't NEED to install a repeater. You could install an additional AP with the same SSID and password or disable the one in the router if everyone can use the 'central' one OK.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Aug-12 08:35:42
Print Post

What about just using homeplugs between the current router and the central one? Might not be the full 80meg but better than nothing.

Wireless repeating isn't the way to do it, it'll be too slow to be worthwhile.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 02-Aug-12 09:00:37
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

And how does that solve the problems? It doesn't, there would still be dead spots and problems running cables to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Aug-12 09:12:27
Print Post

Ethernet and a couple of wifi access points is the only sure way to do it.
If 500 Mbps falls short, suggestion is that it is a fair amount of distance involved.

Have just got the review boxes for http://www.ashcomms.com/latest-news/asheridge-launch... and will report with some rough data on speed over coax this weekend. So if you have coax between rooms this may be an option.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Tayonas
(newbie) Thu 02-Aug-12 10:12:48
Print Post

Id say bite the bullet and run the cable to an access point in the centre, its only one cable.

Do you have a loft to run it through or floorboards you can lift?
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Thu 02-Aug-12 13:24:56
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
You don't NEED to install a repeater. You could install an additional AP with the same SSID and password

This is what I did, I had a couple of dead spots, so I put a wireless AP in the loft with the same SSID and password, works pretty well - only use wireless for the phones and tablets/laptop. Fortunately when I ran Ethernet around the house I had the foresight to run one into the loft.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 14:46:38
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Homeplugs barely got me 20Mbps. Cheers anyway. These were the 500Mbps variant too.

Homeplugs between different areas of the house work great but not where I want them... Typical.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 02-Aug-12 14:58:19)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 14:50:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Ethernet and a couple of wifi access points is the only sure way to do it.
If 500 Mbps falls short, suggestion is that it is a fair amount of distance involved.

Have just got the review boxes for http://www.ashcomms.com/latest-news/asheridge-launch... and will report with some rough data on speed over coax this weekend. So if you have coax between rooms this may be an option.

Great suggestion but unfortunately we don't have an aerial. Just got those cheapo portable aerials and Sky downstairs.

EDIT: actually there are two aerial points but they don't work for TV but perhaps they are linked together - just not to an actual aerial.

There's not too much distance involved and honestly I don't understand why the homeplugs are performing so badly. I have all up to spec electrics and had them all checked out & certified so I thought they would perform well as I'm often away from home and didn't want anything dodgy happening when I'm not there.

Looks like wires the only option.

My issue I think is that some of the walls have this in them.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3258/2591612352_238e9...

I can see it inside one of the walls where it's not fully joined to the false wall.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 02-Aug-12 15:01:59)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 02-Aug-12 14:54:44
Print Post

[re: Tayonas] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Tayonas:
Id say bite the bullet and run the cable to an access point in the centre, its only one cable.

Do you have a loft to run it through or floorboards you can lift?

That's the thing. I have a bit of a problem. The house has laminate which is literally glued down to the floorboards. The skirting boards are also kind of held in by the laminate.

The loft is a bedroom now too. The only true option I have is to run the wires around the skirting boards. Running cables outside might be an option

Anyway I'm going to grab some long ethernet cable and a Netgear wireless router (I have a stash of these). I'll try and keep it as nice looking as poss.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 02-Aug-12 14:55:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to