General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User brettuk
(regular) Thu 02-Aug-12 22:26:27
Print Post

Data Extension Cable

[link to this post]

Hi,

When it comes time to order, I've heard you can order a Data Extension Cable for free. Is this a CAT5e cable that links the Modem with your Router?

Reason I ask, is our master socket is downstairs in the lounge. At the moment, I have the modem and router down there and there's a wifi bridge to my 'Computer Room' upstairs at the other side of the house. This is working okay, but obviously is not ideal, even more so when the internet is going to speed up!

I was wondering then if the Openreach engineer will fit the cable from the master socket downstairs to where I want to use the router, upstairs. If so, would this be internal or external? (I'm thinking external would be easier to fit than attempting to go internal). I do have a extension phone socket in the computer room which was fitted for Sky, but obviously the speed of the connection will degrade over 'normal' telephone wires.

Thanks!

xilo
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Thu 02-Aug-12 23:07:25
Print Post

Re: Data Extension Cable

[re: brettuk] [link to this post]

Quick one: someone else will probably add a more reliable and more complete answer.
I think:
- The data extension cable is between the master socket and the modem. Probably cat5, but with rj11 terminators (or hard wired into the master socket?)
- They will install up to a certain length free. Also, if it is too long it starts significantly impairing performance.
- They will run it internally and accessible, eg around skirtings etc.

You can run your own cat5 from the modem to the router. This can be much longer without performance penalties. You can run that where you like, but of course it isn't free.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Aug-12 20:25:15
Print Post

The data extension kit can be run either internally or externally. Other wise, a shift of the master socket can be done too. SO if the only point you use is the one upstairs, then that might be an option.

As the other poster says, if you want to run your own cat5 from near the master to your room, thats fine too.

If you need stuff rejigging, then ensure your chosen ISP has ordered an HWS with the order. (Home Wiring Solution)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 03-Aug-12 21:24:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

HWS is now standard and included in fttc price (as of april 2012) - although many jobs do not display HWS on taskforce. So every job should include rearrangements / shifts. Shame I had to read up in my own time to find that one out.....
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Aug-12 21:45:07
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Where did you find that nugget ?

Still see tasks that are modem only, no HWS.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 04-Aug-12 23:12:11
Print Post

Says on the openreach website.
Home Wiring Solution
Note 4: This is not offered as a discrete product but instead is part of connection
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 06-Aug-12 09:32:39
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Link here: http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricin...
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Aug-12 11:58:21
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Link here: http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricin...

I think that means you can't order it separately, but it doesn't mean you don't need to specify it on the original order.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User brettuk
(regular) Tue 07-Aug-12 21:58:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The data extension kit can be run either internally or externally. Other wise, a shift of the master socket can be done too. SO if the only point you use is the one upstairs, then that might be an option.

As the other poster says, if you want to run your own cat5 from near the master to your room, thats fine too.

If you need stuff rejigging, then ensure your chosen ISP has ordered an HWS with the order. (Home Wiring Solution)

I thought the other posted said they run CAT5, is this not the case?

xilo
Standard User btbert
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 18:42:38
Print Post

External ( black ) CAT5 cable .

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to