General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dm1983
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 16:11:20
Print Post

BT Infinity query

[link to this post]

This is apparently going to be available on my exchange at the end of next month so I have a few queries:

1 - Will it definitely be a faster connection than the one I have at the moment?

2 - If/when they use traffic shaping, will it still be faster than what I have with Sky's normal broadband product at the moment?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 08-Aug-12 16:16:27
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity query

[re: dm1983] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dm1983:
This is apparently going to be available on my exchange at the end of next month so I have a few queries:

1 - Will it definitely be a faster connection than the one I have at the moment?

2 - If/when they use traffic shaping, will it still be faster than what I have with Sky's normal broadband product at the moment?

1. Possibly - it depends on what connection you currently have!

2. Traffic shaping - depends on what you do. Normal browsing - it will not affect you, but with P2P you may find yourself shaped at certain times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 08-Aug-12 16:28:13
Print Post

My current connection would be roughly 1.5 meg.

If I were to download a file, the fastest it would reach would be around 236 k/sec

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Aug-12 17:41:36
Print Post

Don't confuse "BT Infinity" with FTTC. BT Infinity is one ISP's name selling an FTTC product, you could stay with Sky as an ISP and get "Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre" which is the Sky FTTC product.

BT's marketing is deliberately confusing to drive customers to their product. There are lots of others, as there are in the ADSL world.

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User dm1983
(member) Wed 08-Aug-12 17:46:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Don't confuse "BT Infinity" with FTTC. BT Infinity is one ISP's name selling an FTTC product, you could stay with Sky as an ISP and get "Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre" which is the Sky FTTC product.

BT's marketing is deliberately confusing to drive customers to their product. There are lots of others, as there are in the ADSL world.

Yeah, I know Sky have that product, however it requires a Sky phone line.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Aug-12 18:32:00
Print Post

Yeah, I know Sky have that product, however it requires a Sky phone line.

Ok, you must be a legacy customer (paying £5m more per month??) to not have a Sky line.

There are other ISPs using BT line:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AquiMM6...

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User smouty
(learned) Thu 09-Aug-12 08:19:47
Print Post

What is your speed estimate on the BT site?

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...
Standard User dm1983
(member) Thu 09-Aug-12 08:28:17
Print Post

[re: smouty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smouty:

What is your speed estimate on the BT site?

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

BT website correctly estimates what I am getting from Sky for the speed they say BT Total Broadband could offer me at 1.5 meg.

It says when infinity is available for me at the end of September it should be:

66.3Mb download
20.0Mb upload

I take it that is not an "up to" claim like most other speeds then seeing as it doesn't say that?
Standard User Wonko
(committed) Thu 09-Aug-12 08:34:20
Print Post

Its an estimate.

In my experience I have found it a little conservative, but it is an estimate.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 09-Aug-12 08:34:46
Print Post

That's an estimate, often quite accurate but not guaranteed. The product is actually "up to" 80Megs but they tend to advertise 76Megs due to Ofcom rules.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to