General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ironic
(newbie) Fri 10-Aug-12 23:11:30
Print Post

Up and running...

[link to this post]

A nice OpenReach man came and installed my FTTC service today - getting 12.79Mbps downlink and 1.69Mbps uplink. Installl consists of Huawei HG612 VDSL2 'Home Gateway' and HG532 wireless ADSL router. The HG612 is connected to the new-style, dual-port BT Master socket by an RJ11 cable, while the wireless router is linked to the HG612 LAN1 ethernet by a standard Cat5 patch lead - the ADSL socket on the wireless router is not used, so they could have used a 'cable' router that doesn't have the ADSL phone line socket (they are 20% cheaper too). Have to see if the speed increases at all as the HG612 NTE gathers line stats over the next couple of days.

Seems my two recent service breaks (several days each) were down to metal thieves stripping out copper cable - in a busy London suburb too. Hope they don't find a market for glass fibres, or they'll be pinching that too!
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 10-Aug-12 23:16:01
Print Post

Re: Up and running...

[re: Ironic] [link to this post]

Given the quantities of routers that the ISPs are buying the price differential may only be small and having just one that will work with both ADSL and Ethernet from a VDSL service simplifies their holdings and also means that if a customer moves from ADSL to VDSL there is no requirement for a new router.

With just 12Mbps down, how fare from your cabinet are you ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Aug-12 23:35:12
Print Post

Re: Up and running...

[re: Ironic] [link to this post]

Sounds good.

Don't play around with anything until Sunday. The Openreach DLM is very sensitive during the first two days. (By that it seems to mean the balance of the installation day and one full day after that, so long as it is connected and running for at least 15 minutes on the installation day).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to