General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 13-Aug-12 11:02:17
Print Post

What are my options for a new provider ?

[link to this post]

Hopefully I will get Fibre in October so I'm looking at my options of who to use.

Currently I'm with BE and have no issues with them, but I need better speed.
Now I have 4mb / 1mb with fibre I'm being quoted as 65mb / 20mb

On average we use 150GB per month

So who would you recommend ?
A static IP would be nice but I don't wan to pay over the odd just to have that !

Thanks
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 13-Aug-12 11:11:27
Print Post

Re: What are my options for a new provider ?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Go with an LLU provider such as Sky, TalkTalk etc as they pretty much offer unlimited downloads. Also TalkTalk business will be launching their FTTC products by the end of the year and they do offer a static ip address along with much better phone support than their residential offering.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Mon 13-Aug-12 12:28:06
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

There is an FTTC comparison table at https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key...
I don't know how much it is being kept up to date but gives a good idea of FTTC providers.

Whatever FTTC provider you are using, it will be using the underlying Openreach infrastructure, but the backhaul from the exchange will differ.

The main 'consumer' level providers when I looked about 2-3 months ago were BT Retail (Infinity), Sky, PlusNet (BT owned company but run pretty independently), and John Lewis (who are really PlusNet resellers). I think the others are all quite a bit more expensive, especially if you use a significant amount of data. Here are a few points to watch.

- PlusNet and John Lewis have the best reputation for customer service. (but still rely on BT Openreach to get most things done)
- PlusNet and John Lewis have 100 or 120 Gb download limits (I think), but maybe the PlusNet Plus option gets rid of that?
- PlusNet (and I expect John Lewis) has quite a lot of throttling (well explained on their site); again there is much less if you take the Plus option.
- BT Infinity 2 is genuinely unlimited, but with potentially fierce throttling on p2p.
- Sky is genuinely unlimited, with no p2p throttling. It can be difficult to persuade them to give you an 80/20 service, and it is unclear what the upload speed is on their standard service (it still claims just 2, but many say it is really 10).

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Mon 13-Aug-12 13:05:07
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
- PlusNet and John Lewis have 100 or 120 Gb download limits (I think), but maybe the PlusNet Plus option gets rid of that?
- PlusNet (and I expect John Lewis) has quite a lot of throttling (well explained on their site); again there is much less if you take the Plus option.

It's the Pro option and it doesn't affect download limits - 120GB is the max at present. The Pro option (£5/month) removes the throttling, but "quite a lot" depends on your usage - I don't notice it at all.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User ScaryMonkey
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Aug-12 13:15:41
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

That spreadsheet is out of data with respect to Xilo/Uno. I have just gone for their Fibre + 125GB 80/20 product which offers 125GB peak time limit (8am-8pm Monday to Friday) with unmetered off-peak (400GB fair usage though). Cost for this is £37.99 per month so more than BT etc but in my opinion much better as there is no shaping or throttling at present. The current list of Xilo FTTC products can be found here

Vince
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 13-Aug-12 13:24:10
Print Post

[re: ScaryMonkey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ScaryMonkey:
That spreadsheet is out of data with respect to Xilo/Uno.....
Could be well out of date now.

It was originally created by orly and yarwell, in the early days of FTTC rollout. The bulk of the work in keeping it up to date seems to have been orly, but he recently moved to Canada. I doubt if he has the time or inclination now to keep track of the over 100 possible providers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Aug-12 13:47:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by ScaryMonkey:
That spreadsheet is out of data with respect to Xilo/Uno.....
Could be well out of date now.

It was originally created by orly and yarwell, in the early days of FTTC rollout. The bulk of the work in keeping it up to date seems to have been orly, but he recently moved to Canada. I doubt if he has the time or inclination now to keep track of the over 100 possible providers.

Sounds like something this sites owners/founders should take on for the main site. (ie, import the data and validate it all before publishing).

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab installed 18-jun-2012 - not yet active - est 44.6 / 6.5
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 13-Aug-12 15:13:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Like this? The work that would be involved in keeping even that small number of ISPs up to date wrt all aspects of the allowances, speed and prices is enormous. Then there are the rest of the over 100 I mentioned.

You could of course volunteer smile. A website with it could make a small profit from google ads.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Aug-12 15:30:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think I still have edit access to that, so will update ours when I get a moment, or three.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 13-Aug-12 16:17:20
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I think I have as well, but scared to mess. I always just used to PM orly if I saw anything that needed changing.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to