General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tpn
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 11:26:38
Print Post

Would a 2nd line be FTTC capable?

[link to this post]

I live in a 1970s-era flat served by the Glasgow Langside exchange which has been FTTC enabled for a while now. I have friends who live a few streets away who have 80/20 FTTC service.

I can't get FTTC as my line is apparently Exchange Only (postcode G41 3BH if anyone's interested). This is rather annoying as I can see a BT cabinet about 200m from from my window. My existing phone socket is an old one, not an NTE5 (horrible yellowed plastic, no test socket, etc.).

I read this week that as my flat was built in the 70s it's unlikely that there is "spare" cable already run for a 2nd line, so if I had one fitted new cable would have to be run from somewhere.

So here is my query - is it likely BT would actually need to run new cable, and would BT run the cable from somewhere in the Exchange Only cabling or from the cabinet I can see outside? Or am I on a hiding to nothing and should resign myself to 14Mbps ADSL2+ service?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-12 11:43:57
Print Post

Re: Would a 2nd line be FTTC capable?

[re: tpn] [link to this post]

They would run from what was most convienient, and also as its a second line the USO to actually provide a working phone line does not apply either.

Chances of it going to the cabinet are slight to nothing

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 16-Aug-12 11:57:50
Print Post

I think the post you refer to would be talking about the D-side cables from cabinets. EO could be different. Though I'm just wondering, not saying they are.

Is it cabinet 32 you can see?

I wonder what would happen if you ordered a line and Infinity for a Simultaneous Provide? Ordering a line then finding out what sort it is doesn't sound healthy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Aug-12 12:42:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by tpn:
I read this week that as my flat was built in the 70s it's unlikely that there is "spare" cable already run for a 2nd line
Doesn't follow! My '76 house has.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User simon194
(member) Thu 16-Aug-12 13:54:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by tpn:
I read this week that as my flat was built in the 70s it's unlikely that there is "spare" cable already run for a 2nd line
Doesn't follow! My '76 house has.

It depends on whether the cable has been replaced or not. My current place had a single twisted pair dropline until I I had the phone connected then it was replaced with the a new double cable because of the condition of it.
Standard User tpn
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 15:12:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think the post you refer to would be talking about the D-side cables from cabinets. EO could be different. Though I'm just wondering, not saying they are.

I might have been. I didn't pay too much attention when reading it at the time, just this morning this mad idea occured to me.

Is it cabinet 32 you can see?

Yes, it has P32 written on it.

I wonder what would happen if you ordered a line and Infinity for a Simultaneous Provide? Ordering a line then finding out what sort it is doesn't sound healthy.

Interesting idea. I might give BT a ring and see what they say. Probably "no" but worth a go!
Standard User tpn
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 15:13:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Chances of it going to the cabinet are slight to nothing

It was just a thought. It's slightly maddening that I can't get FTTC but people who live 20m west of me can.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Aug-12 20:08:24
Print Post

In short, no. They WILL happily provide you with a 2nd line, but it will be routed via the same serving DP as the other lines in your block of flats. This, if you have done your homework correctly, is an EO DP.

14 meg ain't so bad.

Print Thread

Jump to